Substrate Change out

ChevyB

Hey everyone,

Well I have decided to make the jump from the big gravel substrate to a sand substrate as part of a re-design itch in my 75 gallon corner. Its seemed through research that pool filter sand was the way to go so that is what i have went with, I have cleaned some of it but unfortunatly due to our winter weather I have done it in small batches in the tub instead of outside so not quite done cleaning it yet. Looks like nice stuff, grabbed it at beachcombers spa in the westend. Nice size grain and seems very clean as its not taking much to clean it out.

Whats the best way to switch things out? I dont really have a place to put the fish so I would prefer to do this with them inside. Most say thats fine from what i have read. Has anyone found what is the best way to get the sand in with the least amount of dust floating around? My plan is to remove all rocks etc, siphon out as much of the accumulated debries that is under that stuff then just scoop out the old gravel. AT this point i am thinking just slowly lower the new sand in and when complete fill the tank back up. Then I would guess let it settle with no filters for a bit as to not get sand in the impellers etc, then fire things up.

Anyone have any thoughts on how long it may take to clear the cloud that is sure to develope?

Make sure your filteration is turned off when putting the newr stuff in. And give it a bit of time to settle before restarting the filter.

but that would be way easier to do it with no water in the tank. Why dont you put yr fish in a bucket for a couple days? you could keep as mutch water as you can with bucket and flush the rest. if you can keep 25% of the water and replace the other 75% with new water, that would be the equivalent of a large water change.

I've switched substrates with the fish in the tank, it's no biggie. If using PFS, the sand settling won't take but minutes, it's the mung left over after removing the gravel that will cause the water to be murky for a few hrs.

Well did the substrate change today. All went quite well, Pool filter sand is super clean even compared to gravel you get. Was probably the easiest substrate i have cleaned. The worst part was the removal of the old substrate (gravel). The crap that was kicked up turned the tank into a thick fog. However, kept at it and once done and fill back up, the Eheim and Fluval have cleaned it down to at least a decent level. I would anticipate by the AM to be clear again. Looks good, i will post some picks once things totally clear up.

I would check the filters to see if they need cleaning as well after it clears up, as it will be adding a heavy load to them.