My wingless grew wings

Qattarra

I'm posting this here as the reason I'm growing wingless fruitflies is for conditioning fish such as my bettas.

Problem here is that my wingless fruitflies aquired themselves wings! The problem arrose (insert punn here) when I made up a new mash batch. Where'd I go wrong? the only fresh fruit I incorperated was banana. It was just the inner and not the peel, and it was a semi green nana so I didn't think it would be ripe enough to have any unseen reg FF eggs. The bottles are plugged with a dense foam only to allow some air in but no visitors. And only 1 of the two bottles (enhabitants) grew the wings.

The first flies I got were definately wingless. These buggers are second generation. I'm now trapping them from flying all over my fishroom with the orange juice of death (they fly in and drown). I don't want to waste good food so I'll scoop them and feed them to fishies anyway, just makes things more complicated. Thanks. Sue

The wingless feature is a controled mutation from winged flies, so the gene for wings is always there.

A good way to catch winged flies is to have a jar w. some jam or something sweet, with a funnel in the top. The flies will fly in to eat, but won't be able to find their way out. When there are enoug flies in the jar, stick it in the freezer. Make sure your bait isn't too liquid, or the flies will just freeze in it and you won't be able to get them out.