HELP PLEASE

Stacey

I bought 2 more african dwarf frogs today...... on is floating upside down, still alive but not fighting when picked up (moves though) I've taken him out of the tank......... put in large measuring cup......hubby says he just croaked (as in noise not dead) but seems to weak to swim normally.......

I hope someone can help.........

Unfortunately froggy didn't make it. :( I'm guessing he was just weak, as he only lived a few hours. The other one I bought monday is fine, as is the "older" one I bought at the end of December. The folks at Riverfront kindly replaced him for me, so now the tank again contains 3 frogs and a betta...... I know it wasn't a water quality issue, tank is cycled and paramaters were checked monday morning. (I didn't quarantine although I know I should've, but I did buy them all from the same place)

Everyone I've spoken with says they're not very hardy, so thanks HOSStile, for the link, as that particular page is one I haven't seen yet.

Thanks everyone, for the responses.

Just I few thing to watch in my experience. I have kept these little guys for 5 years.

One is that, many times bettas can nip at little guys who don't move around much - this is stressful to say the least and dwarf frogs can get infections once injured, quite easily.

Also, many can have an infection when first bought, due to shipping stresses. Look out for a slight redness in the limbs. If this is the case - these guys respond safely to antibiotics such as E.M. and Melifix.

Another point to consider is to make sure your Nitrate levels stay below 20ppm. Dwarf frogs are hardy but many fishes heath is comprimised over this level of Nitrate. I have obsurved in numerous cases, that a creature's immune system starts to get stressed over this level and bacterial or fungal infections can take hold.

Just another thought on keeping dwarf frogs with a betta is that sometimes the frogs won't compete well for food against aggressive top water feeders. Put some vegetation (fake or real) that will extend to the surface - the frogs love to hide in it and will hang out in/on the leaves - especially near the surface. This may help them feel more safe and may keep the attention of the betta away from them.

I have found that keeping frogs and bettas togetther doesn't usually work out in the long run - maybe if there is a lot of hiding places. The betta isn't always the problem either - the frogs snap away at what ever is close when they smell food. I have seen my bettas tail get bitten this way and he was super mad after that and not at all nice to the froggies any more. Hope this helps and if you have any more thoughts for me just ask.

New to Alberta - Thanks! :D I'm sure I'll eventually have more questions to bug you with! I believe I have the points you mentioned addressed..... nitrates are 5ppm*, frogs hide under driftwood, and I have plants that reach the surface. I feed everyone in that tank with a dropper (very cute, frogs will stand on their hind feet to get the food)

I've already thought of my first question for you...... I haven't had these frogs long, still working on a varied diet. The guy at the store said bloodworms, I bought frozen and they just love those! I also offer packaged frog food, which I haven't seen them eat, (but why would they when they have bloodworms squirted in their face?) I've offered (frozen) brine shrimp, and beefheart. they all ate these without a problem....... what else should I be giving them? I'd like to offer live foods, but need to do some research, as I know nothing about growing my own, or what to look for when buying.

* 5ppm nitrates was with one frog and the betta, now that I've added 2 more frogs I can expect this figure to at least double...... but water changes on the little tank are a simple thing. ( It's the 90 gallon that's labour intensive!)

btw -welcome to Alberta! -where the jobs are plentiful, and so is the snow! (I'm originally fron Vancouver, don't think I'll ever get used to winter here.)

Thanks,

Stacey

Fresh frozen blood worms and brine shrimp should be more than a quality diet for these guys. Sounds like they are only getting the best already. I only fed my guys this for the 5 yrs I had them and now my mother only feeds that to them too. I wouldn't bother with dried pellets or anything unless you prefer to alternate for convenience.