Glass Dishes

Shai

Does anyone know where in Calgary I might be able to find a plain glass dish about the depth of a pie plate, but not necessarily round or square?

I would like to create a "sandbox" in my 55g for the bronze cories I will be getting in the near future, and if possible would like a dish of an interesting shape so that it isn't quite so obvious that it's a pie plate or similar. Obviously the dish should not be painted or glazed. (If the glass itself has been dyed, ie same idea as a beer bottle, should I avoid it?)

I was thinking perhaps IKEA...? I don't know that I've ever seen anything at Zellers or Wal-Mart or similar places. Dollar stores? Don't want to spend a fortune.

Edited by Shai

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been looking and looking and looking and I haven't found anything completely suitable. Either the dish is too shallow, or too big, or too deep.

But I did find a star-shaped dish that would be perfect, except it's not glass. I think it's ceramic or clay and it has been glazed, but it's a serving dish.

I didn't buy it. The material it's made from reminds me of the material clay pots are made from. But would I be taking a risk due to the glaze?

But would I be taking a risk due to the glaze?

If it's a serving dish it will be perfectly fine.

local dollar stores :D

I went to just about every dollar store in my quadrant of the city that I could find, and none of them had anything suitable (most of what I found there was too small). : )

If it's a serving dish it will be perfectly fine.

Are we sure?! I don't want to poison my fish! This is great news though, I can go back for it later this week.

Are we sure?! I don't want to poison my fish! This is great news though, I can go back for it later this week.

I'm sure with a serving dish that the store would not want to be sued fo poisoning people with a dish that was not food grade.

OOOO I saw a really neat glass candy dish at the Winners on 137AVE. It is aprox 8-9 inches square with the bottom devided into 4 sections (4 candy types). The divisions only go part way up. It's probably 3 inches deep but no more and maybe a bit less. It was in a clearence area and red tagged, under 10 bucks but don't rember exactly. If I can I'll see if it's still there tomorow. If I buy it and it's not suitable I can always return it. If they had 1 you might be able to find it at other Winners or Homesense stores. Sue