Settling Sand

Slough Shark

You mus have a lot of fines or silt in your sand. Where did you get it? What kind of sand is it. Now that you have it up and running you might need to run a corner filter with lots of cotton to pick up the fines that float up everytime something moves in your tank.

WOW, I was expecting at least 1 or 2 stupid answers, awesome. OK heres the exact info u wanted:

Purchased at AquaGiant, 22 Lbs, it's just light brown, fairly fine-grained sand, that's about all i can tell you about it.

Whats a corner filter? Would it work if I put some cotton in my AC 70 and 20?

Thanks so much

Taylor

A corner filter is just an air powered filter, a little plastic box shaped thing with an air stone in it. I usualy put a little gravel in them for weight

and stuff them with cotton. If you use an A/C filter all that silt and stuff goes through the impeller first sometimes damaging the magnetic base.

Did you wash the sand at all before putting it in the tank?

What kind of filter do you have on this tank? Put a bunch of filter floss in it and change it out once it gets dirty. Repeat untill tank is cleaner.

Also you can change out the water and pour the new water onto a plate as to not stir up more silt.

No as a matter of fact I didn't wash the sand before I put it in, I've been beating myself up for that :boxed: , I knew someone would think of that for a reason, but I didn't want to admit it!!! :P

Ah well, thanks for the help folks, I put an old sock (clean) over the filter cartridge for my fluval 4, added cotton to my AC 70 and 20. So the tank had better damn well be clear by the time I get home from school tommorow, or I'll be one pissy little girl (I am I guy, just so that I don't cause any confusion) -roll-

Thanks again people!!

Taylor

I usualy use an ice cream pail , put about 1 to 2" of sand in and run the tap directly in to it until it is almost ful then slowly pour off thecloudy water. Sometimes several times until the water is fairly clear.

Exactly the system i used (Ice cream pail) :D What with the lovely weather we have been having in Edmonton. My biggest problem when doing the substrate change was removing the old gravel and getting the last little bit out. I found that if you cut the icecream pail lid in half it makes a excellent aquarium gravel scoop. Once the change was done though any silt etc in the tank settled in a few hours and it was crystal clear.

No as a matter of fact I didn't wash the sand before I put it in, I've been beating myself up for that , I knew someone would think of that for a reason, but I didn't want to admit it!!!

I didnot think this question was necessary as it was pretty obvious that the sand was not rinsed.

No as a matter of fact I didn't wash the sand before I put it in, I've been beating myself up for that , I knew someone would think of that for a reason, but I didn't want to admit it!!!

I didnot think this question was necessary as it was pretty obvious that the sand was not rinsed.

Actually, the original question was valid... it's your reply that seems to be completely unnessesary.

Looks to me that the rest of the replies here have completely hit the nail on the head. Good luck Taylor.