Itchy water?

Aaron

Hello everyone, I have just (re) set-up my 65 gallon aquarium. I am using an established filter that I had running on a different tank with fish in it, and quite a bit of that water from a seperate tank. I have filled the remainder with tap water, treated with Aqua Plus Tap Water Conditioner, and have added all of the rocks, and driftwood and things like that. The tank has now been running fishless for about one week, and I plan to let it sit for a week or 2 more without adding any fish. I was in there poking around, re-arranging some decorations, and things like that, and noticed my arm was mildy to moderately itchy when I was finished. This is a bit of a concern for me, as I do not know if this is normal. The levels all seem to be alright. I have added aquarium salt.

Should I be worried about this? Is this going to be harmful to the potential future occupants? I just want to know because I want really outstanding conditions for when I first add a fish or two to the tank.

Cheers!

I can't say I know what's going on, but I can suggest that if you want long gloves go to Lee Valley Tools and for $7.00 pick up a pair of "mucking" gloves. They are super long rubber gloves that go most of the way up your arms. For me they go almost to my shoulder.

If the itchiness went away after washing I would guess at bactirial criters that got into yout pores and gave you a reaction just like going into the lake when it's pea soup thick with bacterial bloom.

Thank you for your quick input. I will likely get gloves to use soon, but I am more concerned with the safety/comfort of the fish that this tank will contain within the next few weeks. I have the luxury of washing itchiness away with soap and warm water, and I am concerned that these fish are going to be driven crazy by the water, or is that just me being paranoid?

Does anyone else have clean water (with proper levels of everything) that still feels itchy after dunking a human arm in? Is this something I need to be concerned with? Should it be itchy?

:well:

I assume you are doing a fishless cycle and adding something to the water ie. ammonia to keep the biological media alive. Running it for a week with nothing to feed the bacteria will do no good. Also, adding water from an established tank is not beneficial. It contains nothing in it to help the cycling process. All it adds is possibly nitrates. This is information I have gained from various members over the past year in setting up new tanks.

I also get itchy when mucking around in a tank...often with rash like symptoms. I asked the doctor and was told it is a mild allergic reation to the bacteria in the tank. I am fine as soon as I wash up after playing in the tank, and the rash goes away within 30 minutes. Be careful not to splash water in your face...OUCH! I got some in my eye and for 2 days it was swollen and really itchy! Don't rub it, just rinse with plenty of cool clean water. My levels are all perfect and I still get itchy!

Tammy

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Thanks for the info guys. The tank has been running with a really well established filter, in addition to a bit of substrate and some driftwood & rocks from a different (established) tank, so I would assume that there is no shortage of beneficial bacteria.

Cheers!

Aaron, I'm afraid that your assumption would be incorrect. The bio bacteria in your "well established" filter require a constant source of ammonia to remain viable. Without a source of ammonia the bacteria will begin to die off, which I suspect by now much of it has.

same here..

Its usually like once every two weeks tho.. I do lots of water changes on all my tanks so i always have my arms wet. at least everyother day im in one or another.

But i seem to get a rash in my elbow inside sometimes.

never had any concerns tho.

just bumps and ichy ness. that go away within the about 20 minutes