my blue crayfish seems to have a fuzzy mouth

nicole

Yes I'm a sh*t for not knowing what they're called... But my electric blue crayfish seems to have fuzz growing on the little forks they use as they're mouth... I have two others who seem to be fine but that one has been acting a little strange lately.. Is he sick? Is there a problem? Thanks any/all of your help guys its muchly appreciated.

Is it a Procambarus alleni????

procambarus_alleni.jpg

Its prob. just external fouling. Not uncommon & not really of concern to the crayfish unless it is effecting its ability to eat. Its usually caused by excessive waste in the substrate. A good cleaning of the tank will normally fix this problem.

External fouling

Protozoans frequently foul the exoskeleton and gill cavity of freshwater crayfish. Severe fouling is usually associated with poor water quality, but may be due to reduced preening which occurs when animals are diseased. Fouling itself is of little consequence to the health of the crayfish unless it is so severe that it causes improper gill functioning, and it can be managed by water exchange. Valuable broodstock may be treated by bathing in formalin or another disinfectant to kill the protozoans. Common fouling protozoans of freshwater crayfish include Epistylus, Zoothamnium, Lagenophrys, Vorticella and Acineta.

http://us.geocities.com/crayfishdisease/pages/intro.html

Edited by Canadiancray

Is it a Procambarus alleni????

procambarus_alleni.jpg

Its prob. just external fouling. Not uncommon & not really of concern to the crayfish unless it is effecting its ability to eat. Its usually caused by excessive waste in the substrate. A good cleaning of the tank will normally fix this problem.

External fouling

Protozoans frequently foul the exoskeleton and gill cavity of freshwater crayfish. Severe fouling is usually associated with poor water quality, but may be due to reduced preening which occurs when animals are diseased. Fouling itself is of little consequence to the health of the crayfish unless it is so severe that it causes improper gill functioning, and it can be managed by water exchange. Valuable broodstock may be treated by bathing in formalin or another disinfectant to kill the protozoans. Common fouling protozoans of freshwater crayfish include Epistylus, Zoothamnium, Lagenophrys, Vorticella and Acineta.

http://us.geocities.com/crayfishdisease/pages/intro.html

I think it is affecting his ability to eat. I haven't seen him eat in almost a month I think. Doesn't mean that he hasn't eatten anything but usually he's raring to go for food. What would be used for treatment? thanks again...