Filtration

Terrie Lee

I ran AC 300s on my 55 for years until I finally decided to spend the money on an Eheim 2224. I have to say, that was one of the best purchases I've ever made. The difference in water quality is amazing, and there's no noise. The best part is that with reasonably stocked community tank, I only have to clean it every 9 months, or so, when the flow starts to slow down. I also have a Fluval 204 on a smaller tank that does a really good job. As far as I can tell, the only benefit to HOB filters is cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a Fluval 304 plus one AquaClear 100 on my 52 gallon right now with Demasoni and Yellow Labs coming soon, I agree with everyone that says over-filtration is the best thing to happen, it all depends on the fish you are going to keep.

I've got a custom ray tank, 60x18x16, I use an AC110 and AC70, as well as a Hagen 802

powerhead with filter attachement. Needless to say the motoro are fairly happy with it. I

am getting some more ray tanks set up, fairly similar in size, and was wondering about

using canisters. I've never used one before so I don't know whats best either. I can get

Rena canisters fairly reasonably priced, XP3 and XP4's. I'm also one of those who would

rather over filter than not enough, but I dont want to get into the overkill zone cause not

all fish like that. I'm still in a major learning curve with the rays.