Importing Koi from U.S. (ebay.com)

BooUrns!

Hi!

I'm looking for some information on importing koi from the U.S. I would like to purchase some koi from a few sellers that display their fish on ebay. Has anyone done this?

I basically want to know what the requirements are regarding:

import licenses (I'm in Edmonton)

process of importing via airlines

potential stumbling blocks that could delay my live shipment (i.e. customs)

any other suggestions would very much be appreciated

I'm going this route as I want some specific types of koi and I want to choose the fish (given the longevity of these fish). I find the LFS here massively overprice extremely low quality koi. I have yet to see a proper Japanese koi for sale here (excluding one beautiful aka matsuba I saw at the koi shop a few years ago).

Why not speak with some of our AA Sponsors and see if they can order some high quality koi for you. They are generally very accomodating, especially if you prepay for them and are very specific about what you want. This may be cheaper for you in the long run as they may be able to spread freight and duties over other fish as part of a larger order.

Kevin

Hi!

I'm looking for some information on importing koi from the U.S. I would like to purchase some koi from a few sellers that display their fish on ebay. Has anyone done this?

I basically want to know what the requirements are regarding:

import licenses (I'm in Edmonton)

process of importing via airlines

potential stumbling blocks that could delay my live shipment (i.e. customs)

any other suggestions would very much be appreciated

I'm going this route as I want some specific types of koi and I want to choose the fish (given the longevity of these fish). I find the LFS here massively overprice extremely low quality koi. I have yet to see a proper Japanese koi for sale here (excluding one beautiful aka matsuba I saw at the koi shop a few years ago).

Per Jeff Rapps site for ordering cichlids...

For export orders shipped via airport (including all Canada destinations): Minimum order is $250.00 of fish and there is an additional clearance fee of $100.00 per shipment for US Fish and Wildlife paperwork clearance and inspections. Depending on the final destination, some international shipments require the services of an export broker. This fee is $100.00 per shipment. A 15.00 airport delivery charge is added to all orders.

I looked into ordering from Jeff. Unless you are planning on ordering a lot of koi or some particularly expensive ones, the additional costs will likely make the cost per fish ridiculously expensive. I agree with Kevin that trying to get one of our sponsors or another shop in Edmonton to see if they can bring in the fish you desire with a shipment for their shop will be much less expensive. I got some stragglers from Petland's recent Rapp's order, and the cost was $10 a fish instead of $110+ for what I wanted. Good luck. :thumbs:

Thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming!

I have contacted some fo the american sellers to investigate the export requirements they have to undergo. I expect to pay over $100-200 USD for shipping but I am ok with this if I can select the exact fish I want. I have been looking at doing this for close to a year now but was hoping to hear from anyone who had already done it. I've purchaed some imported koi from edmontonians off the bargainfinder buy/sell. I got the impression they were just ordering large lots of standard Japanese tanchos and sankes. Nice fish but I'm after some very specific fish and the only place I've seen them is on ebay.

How many fish are you talking about?

10-20

Looking for:

Asagi (I'm very particular about these as there are a lot of junk asagi with poor colour lines)

Shusui (Same preferences as Asagi)

I'll be after some of these in the shipment aswell but will probably sell them off to distribute the shippping cost.

Kokahu

Tancho

Tancho Sanke

Showa

Ki and Aka Matsuba

Utsuri

If you want to get a certent type ypu can go to the pet store in Sherwood Park and talk to Yipwa (spelling) he is the one to handle all the Japanese koi.

Brad

Thanks, I'll go talk to him and see what he can offer. Do you have the name/address of this store? I'm only familiar withthe edmonton stores.

Go through the store....trust me on this. Importing fish, unless you are bringing in quite a few or at least $1000 worth, is rather expensive (permits, et al) and can be a real headache (wait until you see the customs forms you need to fill in without the benefit of assistance....unless you want to pay extra for a broker), and inspections (a usual thing for first-time importers) can be long and painful too.

I believe the name, address, and telephone number of the Sherwood Park store in listed in our LFS list in the 'general' forum.