Zebra Obliquidens

FishManTy

Question for you guys:

Seen these guys in 2 Calgary shops, and Im wondering if I could get some feedback on how they are with Labidochromis caeruleus and Clownloaches?

Pretty much I don't know much about them other than the article I read on Cichlid-forum: Article

Also, does anyone here in Calgary have these at home? I'd like to get 2f/1m from the store, and then hopefully 1m/2f from a local here, to make sure there is no inbreeding.

Thanks

Btw. Its a victorian Basin Cichlid... My parameters seem to be fine for them, im just scared because it says they can agressive and in the wild will eat scales of other fish and stuff... so yeah.

Thanks

a_latifasciata.jpg

Edited by FishManTy

Its for my 150gallon actually... Or at the smallest, a 90 gallon Im thinking of buying from the bargain finder.

I got 17 Clowns and 10 Yellows. Also have a group of peacocks and some kribs.

If they go in a 90, they will be with a breeding group of 4 yellows.

So, given that 90 would be the smallest home, do you think 2 males 4-5 females would be ok??

you might have problems with the second male not coloring up fully(the same happens with pecocks sometimes). There is always the possibility of aggression between the males but you can always remove the sub male if that is a problem. It should work out fine in a 90g.

Good luck

Turns out Im gonna get a 75gallon, so yeah. I'll either do 1 male or 2 males with 4 or 5 females with my breeding yellows. Hopefully I can make a good cave network for them. Anyone got some spare slate laying around or lava rock that I can have/purchase? I'd go to landscaping places... but its sooo cold and muddy...

A further question about filters now. Im gonna be getting 2 AC's (dunno the strength as of yet, but probably 150's), and my fluval 404 will be transferred to it. What combination do you think I should use??

Go with a couple of AC 300's or if you can afford it go for the AC 500's. You can never have too much filtration with Africans. AC 500's are ~$50 each at Gold's and AC 300's are $35 if my memory serves me correctly. You will need something this big for mechanical filtration alone. Ideally you should try and turn over the volume of the tank 10 times every hour. AC 300 is 300 gph and AC 500 is 500 gph.

I agree, I would go with 2 AC 500's on that 75 gallon tank.

I have 2 AC 500's on my 55, and 2 AC 300's on my 25. Overkill? I don't think so.

AC 500 = massive media volume, superior water movement, and less cleaning

of the media compared to the smaller AC's.

I agree, I would go with 2 AC 500's on that 75 gallon tank.

I have 2 AC 500's on my 55, and 2 AC 300's on my 25. Overkill? I don't think so.

AC 500 = massive media volume, superior water movement, and less cleaning

of the media compared to the smaller AC's.

My vouche is in for the AC500's too. I prefer them WAAAAY over canister filters.

2 AC 300's on my 25

Holy current Batman :P

I have a AC 300 and a AC 500 on my 90g. I now wish i would have gotten 2 AC 500s. I love AC filters. THey have a media capacity, are easy to use(and clean) and provide lots of water movement. THey are also versitile in the kinds of filter media you can use. YOu can set it up however you like.

I have AC filters on all my tanks and just love them. I got my AC 500 for around 30$cad(i think it was 24$ american on sale) from petsolutions.com. Can't beat that deal :thumbs:

Im gonna use my fluval 404 no matter what... and Im gonna put on the biggest of the 2 AC's... and the last AC will go on the 33gallon when I sell it, if I sell it.

I like about a 9 turn over rate (thats what my 150 has about... and my 5.5... and my 10's..., and my 33 for that matter. The only tank that doesn't is the peacock 30 cause it has a eclipse on it! (Ugh....))

Thanks guys....

Ok, most of you said you liked AC's... would you suggest scrapping the Fluval 404 (cost me $200!!!!!), and just using the AC's???

I need to keep one filter with the 33 gallon... dunno which one yet... need help deciding!

If you already have the 404, and you're happy with it (it's a good bio filter) then add a 500 & a 300 to the 75, and when you sell the 33 include the 300 with it.

Or, get the two 500's, and when you sell the 33 sell it sans a filter.

Just my 2 cents .......

Val - I had a 300 on that 25 gallon, and was going to add a 200, but then Rahim listed his 300 for sale, and I thought what the heck, can't hurt to try. :hey:

The 25 is going to be used as an overstocked grow out tank, and I've 1 1/2" juvie mbuna in that tank & they have had no problem with the current.

The fish in both pictures below is an Iodotropheus sprengerae that's approx 1 1/4". Both pictures were taken within a few minutes of each other, and in both shots if you look closely you can see the air bubbles at the surface of the water, as well as the AC 500 intake. This teeny little juvie Mbuna is swimming directly below the AC 500 outputs, and is in no way being 'blasted' by the water flow. No other fish chased this juvie to this area, it swam up on it's own to check out the algae garden. All of my fish swim in the filter output areas in my tank off & on all day, but I thought this little juvie fish would prove the point more clearly. In both pics below the Rusty is approx 9 inches directly below the output, where I would say the water pressure or current is near its peak. The water flow from an AC 500 starts out approx 9 inches wide.

rust2.jpg

rust1.jpg

I have 1M 1F of these in a 50 g tank with some peacocks, permutts and rusty cichlids. They seem to get along fine, and the female has been seen holding eggs, but no fry have successfully become visible. I got them from Golds, and don't know if they still have any. I also think they are at PetLand in the northeast calgary.

Neil