salt water prices

P@UL

with salt water can u keep it in a tank with a standard glass top or a biothingy amd hhow much duz the wierd plants with tentacles cost and other things besides fish?

What wierd pland? how big of a tank? what live stock do you want? do you want soft or hrad corals or FOWLR?

Live rock is $9.99-15.99/Lbs depending on the type and quality. you will need at least doble the filtration of a fresh water tank and better lighting.

I hope this gives you and idea on how much this will cost even on a buget and lots of DYI it is not cheap.

Brad

Paul, just to give you an idea on comparitive pricing...

My 90 gallon tank is going to cost a ballpark range of $4000...and I bought some of the equipment used. A freshwater tank of the same size would have costed $900 at most... and that's if I had used a sump as a freshwater filtration system (more expensive than HOB filters by far).

Those 'wierd plantie things' are corals, and certain types would require an even more expensive system than the one I've got.

If you are serious about saltwater, you need to do some involved research and prepare to empty your pocketbook. Get 'The Concientious Marine Aquarist' by Robert Fenner to start with. Also do some research on the various saltie sites online, and www.wetwebmedia.com (my fav website for reference material). Keep in mind that saltwater fishkeeping requires patience...you can't just throw a bunch of fish together in a new tank and expect it to work out. Good luck.

Spellcheck edit!

Edited by Osprey

Paul, just to give you an idea on comparitive pricing...

My 90 gallon tank is going to cost a ballpark range of $4000...and I bought some of the equipment used. A freshwater tank of the same size would have costed $900 at most... and that's if I had used a sump as a freshwater filtration system (more expensive than HOB filters by far).

Those 'wierd plantie things' are corals, and certain types would require an even more expensive system than the one I've got.

If you are serious about saltwater, you need to do some involved research and prepare to empty your pocketbook. Get 'The Concientious Marine Aquarist' by Robert Fenner to start with. Also do some research on the various saltie sites online, and www.wetwebmedia.com (my fav website for reference material). Keep in mind that saltwater fishkeeping requires patience...you can't just through a bunch of fish together in a new tank and expect it to work out. Good luck.

What he said .... it is a very big step up just in equipment alone

with salt water can u keep it in a tank with a standard glass top or a biothingy amd hhow much duz the wierd plants with tentacles cost and other things besides fish?

was this a joke? if not, sorry for suggesting it was. go down to a LFS and check things out. go to www.jlaquatics.com and check out their prices- probably best you will find. i have dealt with these guys with good results www.reefperfection.com. Do some reading, buy a few books- well worth the money.

What he said .... it is a very big step up just in equipment alone

She, actually. :P Yeah, yeah, I know... how many girls get into SW, anyway, right?