120g

Shayesmommy

i bought a 120gallon tank about 1 month or so ago and its been sitting in my basement in storage.

I wanted to upgrade my 80g discus tank.

anyways my mom and her husband are finally moving out of my basement in 3 days :D:D

which means finally i get my fish room and my 120g set up.

I tried a planted tank before in my 80 it didnt last very long and it was only a few plants and 300 dollar lights later.

I know nothing and i want to make the 120g completely planted.

and do it right. i dont have money to go out and buy lights. its the basic lights that come with it or any tank.

i keep my water temp at about 83-86 so i know water temp is high and has something to do with keeping plants.

so basically i need some low light plant that require high temps. :D if anyone can give me some names.

And as for subtrate i was hoping to get just sand or a very fine gravel subtrate in a nice light white/brown color

I know petland reddeer has some ok looking stuff but i dont want it to alter my ph which is 6.5

I also will probably be going to calgary in the next month so places that have what i might need would be great if i cant get it here.

im very excited about my new tank and i cant wait to get it all planned out :D:D

so any ideas and any help would be great.

thanks Jen

Try Valisneria spp. There are a few different species that should do OK in your tank. If you really want plants to do well, you should think about investing in a CO2 system - pressurised would be the way to go. The only problem that I could see for you is that the CO2 system will likely run you close to $200.

You could probably get away with T8 lighting over your 120 - how deep is it? Is it 72"? If you can get close to 2 wpg, you should be able to keep just about anything; and, with CO2, you'll be able to grow most plants.

the dimensions are

l-60inches

h-26inches

w-18inches

I think in the long run we will invest in some good lights and co2 but for now we will keep it simple.

I got set a link to check out low light plants.

I would love to have a nicely planted tank with high light plants but right now i dont think that will happen.

we also have a 48 inch coralife with 2x65watts light on the 80 which we could put on there but even with the basics and those i dont think it would cut it. not quite. Say if i got another 48inch 2x65 watt. it would be more then enough lighting but would it be ideal?

would all the plants thrive if i did that?no matter where i put them?

Edited by Shayesmommy

With tank depth of 22" (after substrate), you'll the want stronger lights, if you're wanting to go fully planted - NO flourescents might not cut it for some foreground plants.

In the mean time, Valisneria spp. will do fine. Larger swords will also do well - so will Crypts. These plants will probably not grow too fast, but they'll do just fine. :)