Looking for good general homemade recipe

Oxquo

Anyone have a good recipe to share? I absolutely hated the gelatin meals what a mess. I was thinking along the lines of more solid and using a hamburger grinder this time instead of the blender. Oh and yes these were used for fish only, my dehydrater does a nice job an I intend on doing alot of daphnia this year maybe some mosquito larvae as well, crushed dehydrated earthworms get gobbled up really well too.

My thoughts on a food was frozen though, something like, a lb of bloodworms, 1 lb of mysis, 1 lb of raw shrimp or bbs, 1/2lb of clam meat, 1/2 lb of pollock, 1/4lb spinach leaf, 1/4 lb green beans or zuchinni, 1/2 bottle of sera fishtamins and a teaspoon of naturose. Any other suggestions aside from beef heart or liver as I find it often rots in the tank and goes un eaten.

well i got something to tell all of you that is an awesome way to kill internal and external diseases in your fish... all you need to do is go out to your local fish store and buy some melafix... and some pimafix its made by the same company and both do the opposite... but if mixed together they become the best chemical that i have ever used...

SO once you blend up teh bloodworms,brine shrimp etc. what are you going to do with it? Freeze it? dry it?

When you made the homemade food with the gelatin did you jsut use regualr gelatin or that algae gelatin? I was thinking of making some of that european shrimp mix(but change up the ingredients a bit) with the algae gelatin(agar agar). Lots of people have made it over on the cichlid boards and were quite pleased.they said it wasn't messy

Agar will work great to keep things together, last time I used knox gelatin and blended it. This time I will run it through a meat grinder so it doesn't all go paste like and use agar as a base. What I want is for the chunks to stay chunks, although many of my fry liked the old recipe I had way to much and it made my old tank look like hell after feeding it.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure you have tried this:

Raw whole Garlic cloves. [ put through your grinder]. The natural oils in garlic are wonderful.

Natural dewormer. Good stuff.

Makes everything smell like an Itialian kitchen.

Smokey

I have tried garlic and find it to be hit and miss with my fish, so I stopped using it. Works good for fishing most times though. I have used many herbs with my food, ginseng, ginger, etc. I find after using ginger my fishes activity levels pick up quite a bit as it stimulates blood flow.

The garlic is mixed into the food; homemade - mixed well - through a grinder.

I have added Green Peppers, Yellow peppers, brine shrimp, spirulina, beefheart, bloodworms all together.

When I receive new fish, I feed the garlic mix to them ; just in case.

It seems the natural oils, from garlic, have a de-worming effect. Kills them

Just like in humans.

[A Jack Wattley receipt ingreident].

The fish kinda give me a look of ; what -the -heck-is -this-now-kinda-look <_< <_<

It has worked very well for me.

Ginger - I have never tryed it. Interesting.

One perosn was adding "TURNIP" to his food. He said it increased breeding activitly.

Personally, It never worked for me... all I did was pass gas... :lol:

Smokey

I used the gelatin method once - same results - yuck --- messy tanks

Oxquo quote-[The purpose towards making a great wholesome and complete diet is to advoid sickness ]] ... I totally agree.

Some : off-the-shelf-foods have been process to death, survival foods - MPO!

or as I refer to them - Corn Flake food.

If you have read the ingrecients on the back of the containers - You get an idea of what is used. I go out and find the individual ingredients.

Well, we know brine shrimp is gobblied up by most fish; so when I have extra shrimp hatches [ more than I can feed before the shrimp get too old and develop their hard shell] - I just freeze the surplus.

Another food - if you can locate them - fresh fish eggs.

Worm cultures - when then are young and tastey,,

Summer time - great for compost worms, lavie, fresh veggies..insects, ant eggs, etc.

There are a lot of choices.

Smokey.

Yes. Garlic can be a permanent ingredient of a fish's food.

Garlic does not harm a fish.

Rather, garlic is a natural de-worming food.

Depending how much other ingredients are used, I migh suggest only a few pieces [ segments]. from a clove. Too start with.

what is a segment from a clove called, anyway ??

I have made up batches with small amounts of garlic - to let the fish get used to the "NEW FOOD" ingredient. It may take a bit for the fish to accept the new food.

Once totally used to garlic, I have used 2 - 3 whole cloves, to five pounds of beef heart; along with the other ingredients..

Experiment ...

Smokey