salt or medication???

Just noticed one of the plecos in the tank has a patch of 'fuzz' on his side. It's about the size of a penny and looks like he's got dust on him. Any ideas as to what it is??? Doesn't sound like anything I've read about so not quite sure how to treat it.

I'm debating between doing a salt treatment and using the ich medication. Leaning towards the salt but also don't want more of a breakout... any advice?

Also there's a crayfish in the tank, will he be ok with a higher dose of salt or should I move him?

Thanks!

Lana

Plecos are salt sensitive, because they are scaleless. I wouldn't use salt with a pleco.

Also the "fuzzy" patch would seem like more of a fungus than ich. I suppose he might have ich too......... Maybe post a picture in the 'fish emergency' section?

I have no idea how salt sensitive a crayfish is. Can you separate the pleco for treatment? Is the crayfish showing any symptoms of anything?

If you can't get a picture try google-ing fungus, and see if the picture matches.

HTH,

Stacey

I would opt for the meds but be careful to read the label as some meds can be detrimental to crustaceans

If it's a fungus, look to see if there is a wound under there. You can spot treat the area. Carefully lift him from the water and apply the medicine with a q-tip directly to the area. Do investigate though, find out why it happened. S

I did a big water change yesterday and filled the filter with floss, let it run for a bit while the water level was low and stirred up the gravel a few times. Added what I had left for salt while that was going on. Refilled the tank last night and this morning when I checked there is nothing on him.

I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens again and keep my fingers crossed. How sensitive are the plecos to salt? Can they have some in the water? The crayfish seems fine too, he had something like that a bit ago but didn't seem bothered - I assumed it was because he liked hiding in the tunnel that was at the bottom of the 'mountain' in there and it tends to have gunk settling into it. The plecos are too big to go there....

Lana