sword tail problem

P@UL

my female sword slowly turned white then finnally died and now the same thing is happening to my male whats wrong with them i checked the nitrate level and its around 10ppm a bit higher than usual but all the other fish are fine as far as i can tell

You checked Nitrate but did you also check Ammonia and Nitrite?

What is your water change schedule? What kind of tank are these fish in(size, tankmates etc.) Is it the 30g in your signature?

Were these fish newly added to the tank? When you say turned white did they have a white slime on them or white fuzziness? Or did they just loose color?

i no whats wrong i left the nitrate test tube out a bit longer and it almost turned red but that happened before and the fish became "raggy" but this time it was just the swords yes they just turned white and i dont have a nitrite or ammonia testing kit im picking one up tomorow or this weekend i change the water once a week ( not all just half) and cleaned half the gravel

the biggest fish is about 4 inches but most are olny 1.5 - 2 inches yes in the 33 gallon.

what is itch?

Your previous posts about problems with this over stocked tank should be telling you where this problem stems from. I'm not sure what your filteration is but it would appear that it is not adequate for the amount of fish you are keeping. How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it? What filteration are you using?

i clean it about once a month i use the water from the tank to clean it and the other day i was told i should get a different filter and ive notived the one i have is just a peice of crap it does work but not great my dads taking me to get a new one tomorrow

Make sure you keep the old filter running while you add the new one! Otherwise, cycling will have to start over from scratch.

If you need some "seed" bacteria I can bring some for you. I recently got my 65 in trouble, I had taken my canister filter apart and overcleaned it. By doing this I remove far more bacteria and there were not enough left to keep my cycle ballanced. I had to do 30% water changes twice 6 hours apart to keep the fish from being too stressed. I had also added the aquarium salt to help them through this. The most important thing I did was went to all my other tanks with HOB filters and took the blackened floss replacing it with new floss in those filters leaving the foams. I used this blackened, dirty floss and put it in a net and placed it in my 65. By doing this I emergency replaced the missing bacteria needed. The next day the nitrites tested back at 0, I could then remove the extra floss. All has been well since.

These things happen, even in 20 years when you are very experienced , you'll run into the occasional problem.Be vigilant, your fish will let you know as soon as something is wrong most times, but the signs may be very subtle. Such as with ich, the fish may start occasionally doing a weird rub against a rock or wood, at this stage nothing else will show. This is the best time to do the temp/salt treatment, before you ever see the white spots. Let me know if you need seed bacteria, I'll be in the city tomorow. Sue