Discus, angels, rams, corydoras, BN plecos and tetras.

snaggle

Can you mix all six of these fish in 150g tank dimensions 72"x18"x29". I wand a school of cardinal tetras and rummy nose tetras, about 6 discus, a pair of angels, 4 BN plecos, and 12-24 corydoras and about 6-8 blue rams. I plan to filter the tank with 2 AC 500s and a FX5. Lighting will be 2 14000k NO florecents and 12 23w 6500k CF. I plan to use fine brown and white sand mix and hevily plant the tank.

Brad

Everything looks good, but if you want angels you might want to add them last and start with small ones.

I wouldn't keep angels with dicus.

but all the others are good to go.

Angels aren't the best tankmate for Discus, the general reasons are that Angels may carry parasites which they can deal with fine, but Discus can't, and also that Angels are more aggressive and Faster than Discus, and therefore outcompete them for food etc.

i would add some more discus and be good with them.

Be sure to get a strain of Cories that like it warmer (eg sterbai cories). And be sure your Discus are eating really well before you add Angels, as Angels will often outcompete Discus for food. Angels also carry parasites that Discus can't deal with. Angels will often eat Cardinals as well, even Discus will if eat them if they are small Cardinals... I have 3 BN plecos in a 6ft tank and they still fight for space now and then(1M,2F), 4 should be ok. These are all just ideas, suggestions and a few personal experiences. Hope this helps. :D

Tammy

LOL! I see Shayesmommy and I have the same opinions on some things!

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Thanks for the options I think that I will just put the angels in there own tank then I dont want to hurt my discus. I hope the set this tank up over the summer so I should have picks of the completed tank in the fall.

Brad

Plecos, in general (including Bristlenose), over time, tend to develope a taste for Discus slime coat. Also, since Plecos are nocturnal, Discus diurnal - and Discus being somewhat "sensitive" - they could compromise the well being of the Discus, by disrupting their slumber. Therefore, no Plecos, and no Angels (as mentioned previously) with the Discus.

On the other hand, Rummynose & Cardinals are ideal tankmates, as are Rams. Can't say squat about the Cories though - no experience in that dep't.... temp. might be a little high for them?????.... Apparently Ghost Knife Fish - among others - are also good tankmates for Discus...

For my "Ideal" Discus tank, I would have a bare bottom tank with plants in small pots, driftwood, some German Blue Rams, a school of Rummynose, and a large school of Cardinals... and a bunch of elbow grease to keep the tank free from detruitus & algea. .... But that's just me...:)

:blush: 33 Discus and counting.... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I started the build today so here are the pics so far,

The Tank,

DSC04786s.jpg

The Sand, I was going to rinse it in the shower after two sand bags my wife came down and threatened to take away all my tanks if I kept rinsing the sand in there, so only two sand bags got rinsed,

DSC04802s.jpg

Starting to fill,

DSC04804s.jpg

Half full.

DSC04805s.jpg

A couple random pics of my fish stuff,

The convict and krib tanks,

DSC04806s.jpg

DSC04810s.jpg

DSC04812s.jpg

Do I have enough stuff to be called a fish nerd yet :thumbs:

I will post more pics as it comes along. it will be a slow tank build while I landscape my yard this summer.

Maybe I can make some money renting out my tanks, how about $300/week for the 150g you supply the fish :beer: .

Brad

Maybe I can make some money renting out my tanks, how about $300/week for the 150g you supply the fish .

Brad

Now there'sa novel Idea -roll- That works out to $2 a gallon I have lots of 20's.

Things are looking good Brad.

I see the Kribs are nicely colored, they must be happy.

is that a pool table in front of that nice big tank.hope you dont play on it, my bud broke his parents 180 gallon with a ball that flew off the table.that krib is awsome

Yes it is a pool table I am going to take it down, and possible sell it. I need the space in the room my wife is planing on baby sitting up to 3 kids. My daughter loves fish so I set up the tank in the room that she will spend most of the day.

The tank is almost clear again, I need to replant some plants so it might get a little cloudy.

I hope to start staking the tank after my exercise in May. I am starting with tetras, I also plan to change the water to filtered water.

Should use RO/DI or would a 5 micron, 2 micron, and carbon filter be good?

Brad