Big Tank on Main Floor

jvision

All for not... looks like I'll be waiting on getting a monster tank for a while. I think I'm going to have to settle for something along the lines of a 140 or so.

Ok, back to planning... as soon as it was over, it's back on again - found another tank! :thumbs:

This one will be a bit smaller - guessing around 3000 lbs on the same footprint (6'x2').

BTW, it will be along one outside wall, and w/in 2' of the corner of the other outside wall.

Edited by jvision

The proximity to the corner doesn't help anything as the floor joists run onto only one of those two concrete foundation walls. Since you are close to a corner, reinforcing the floor below would be less invasive to the room below.

As Spcy suggested, a closet built into the corner below to conceal the support beam and columns could be your solution. Or a bulkhead could be framed to the ceiling with it's support columns built into the walls along the foundation and on the far side of the room below.

Depending on the construction of your home (old/new) and the span of the joists from the foundation wall to the center support beam, you may not need reinforcement at all. If the span is less than 10' and the joists are made from solid 2x10 or greater, you might be alright. If the home is new and the floor is made from wooden I-beam joists or open web trusses, I would strongly recommend reinforcement. I've seen how easily heavy weight can warp these floors in just a short time.

Here's the skinny:

BigTankPlans002.jpg

The tank is going right where the loveseat and the endtable are... pretty much right up to where the book case is (everything's getting rearanged).

BigTankPlans004.jpg

BigTankPlans003.jpg

This is what it looks like directly below where the tank is going.

BigTankPlans005.jpg

Corner of basement

BigTankPlans006.jpg

Looks like 16" centers

BigTankPlans007.jpg

Since I built my fishroom from the opposite wall to the Center Brace, I'm thinking that it's 10' from this wall to Center.

Do you have any plans to finish this room as living space? If not, I think the safest solution would be to attach a 3-ply header out of 2x10 onto the ceiling and support it with 2x6 posts running to the floor below. Teleposts would be another option in lieu of 2x6 but they cost more and are somewhat overkill for this situation.

Let me know if you want a hand getting this built.

Those allmost look like 2x8 joists, I would definately go with a 2x10-3 ply beam or at least a 2x8-3 ply header. Picture the woman of your dreams with double D's and no support.

Pianos dont even come close to that kind of weight...We have two pianos ...both upright proffesionals and I was able to lift them up high enough on each end on my own to install cushions under the wheels to stop them from damaging our hardwood...not sure of the weight but for sure no more then 500-600 lbs

I would build the beam support probably putting together 2x10 lumber flat under the beams in the opposite direction and putting a couple of telescoping supports under it...

More good info from the cichlid-forum.com article regarding beefing up the floor joists.

If you do decide to increase the strength of your floor, just keep in mind that this is best done before the aquarium is placed on the floor and the floor has deflected under the load. For example: Let's say that you fill that 180 gallon tank with water and then later get concerned. So you go into the basement and nail another 2 x 10 right alongside the existing 2 x 10 joist.

(see: Joist Illustration 1)

Unfortunately this doesn't accomplish much since the load was already in the existing 2 x 10 and you haven't removed any stess out of the existing 2 x 10 by adding another joist. If you had added the new 2 x 10 first, and then put the aquarium on the floor, then the joists would have deflected together and shared more of the load. Same idea with a post. You should either add the post first (before you fill the aquarium with water) and shim it very tight to the underside of the joists, or you should jack upward so that the post carries more load.

(see: Joist Illustration 2)

Thanks, John. That's what I was thinking. I think I'll likely go the route of the 3-ply beam. I've had a few offers to help me put it all together, so I'm thinking this'll go pretty smooth.

Thanks, All!! :thumbs: