10 gallon Killer

gadgetgirl

This is just awful. I feel terrible over this.

On the 7th of February I had a batch of cories hatch out, by the 27th I decided they were big enough to go into the 10G tank instead of the breeding trap - I tested the water first (Ammonia & Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5) and in they went after I fed them that night.

Next morning, 11 out of 17 were dead or dying. I saved 6. My first thought was that I possibly poisoned them with tainted frozen BBS, so I tossed the old stock and bought new frozen BBS and now keep it in a different freezer.

On the 11th of March I set them loose again with nearly identical results - 3 out of 7 died (I found the one living in the 55G, moved him in with his little buddies because I thought he'd have a better chance of survival :( ) I caught the survivors from this tragedy and put them back in the breeder trap again, did another water change, not realizing that I filled the tank up far enough that the little cories could escape over the edge of the trap and back into the tank, which they did, with one exception, and that's why I have a survivor. Everyone else is dead.

Here's the problem: What's in the substrate that murders everyone at night? No one acts funny or dies during the day when the lights are on. (I effectively spent an entire day watching them to be sure everything was fine) The breeder traps are in the 10G, have almost always been in the 10G except for water changes and the first few weeks of their lives. From examination of the little bodies, I think some of them have had a 'bump' on the top of their head, and a few others have had a 'bump', possibly air or fluid filled, on their bellies. Most have had nothing unusual that I could see. (Possibly relevant: Second breeder trap with second batch of baby cories, 2 weeks younger. Traps always moved together from tank to tank; no health issues with second batch. Only difference is they haven't been out of the trap while in the 10G)

Prior to this the 10G was an ADF tank, all of whom are still happy and healthy (and in the 20G) I had a pair of Honey Gouramis and a pair of Neon Tetras in there for a few days while I renovated the 55 just before the weekend; they were (and are) fine. *crossing fingers, hoping it stays that way*

Water parameters have remained steady at the above stated values; not a contributing factor.

Obviously I have to clean the tank thoroughly; what should I do about the filter? Will there be anything harmful living in there? Should I chuck all the plants? Boil the gravel? Did I miss anything? What is going on?

Thanks for reading. Please share your ideas on this - has anything like this happened to anyone else?

What kind of filter do you have? I have heard that if there isn't sufficient circulation at the bottom of the tank, corys suffer.

An Ehiem Liberty 150 - new on Feb 25th. And an air pump, Rena 200. Neither on full flow, but it was up enough to buffet the baby cories around a bit.

Sorry, I knew I'd forget some important item of information to put in the post.

Then I'm at a loss...

Are they going to be the only fish in the 10gal? If so, then I'd back off on the filtration a bit.

Little fish need little to no filtration. I know this contradicts my previous post, but that was just speculation... now I'm speaking from my experience.

Hope I'm not too confusing. :wacko:

I'm at a loss, too. :(

I figure my next step must be to clean out the tank, totally, and go bare bottom. I've got myself convinced it's something in the sand and gravel, and I don't want to take any chances with the baby cories I have left.

Yes, they would be the only ones in the 10G.

No, you're not confusing - I just started out that way!

Yes, they would be the only ones in the 10G.

This may sound crazy, but if it's just a dozen or so baby corys, you may want to go filterless - just use the bubble wand - until the fish are around 1/2-3/4". Do 50% WCs twice per week, and you'll have happy, healthy fish.

I'd go with a thin layer of Play Sand.

hmmmm. . . You've definitely given me something to think about. Filter-less. (That sounds so. . . naked :blush: ) But I can do that, the 50% x2/week won't be a problem. And the thin layer of play sand? Is that for aesthetics and/or to make the cories happier? 1/2" thin?

The sand would be for fish comfort more than aesthetics. Giving them something fine to root around in will make them happy. :)

*gadgetgirl checks remaining sand supply*

Yes, I think I can do half an inch. There's no way I want to use the play sand and gravel that's already in there.

Bleach out the tank or use ammonia? Or ??? The little guys can go live in either of the other 2 tanks (in their trap) while I'm sorting this out; I'd rather spend a few days and get it right and not have them suffer any more fatal consequences.

I sure am glad you're online. Thank you for helping me :bow:

Add some floating plants to help w. nitrogenous waiste removal - or dangle the roots of an ivy/pothos/etc. in there, and you'll be just fine, IMO.