SAE or Flying Fox?

BooUrns!

I'm trying to determine if two of my (most expensive) auction purchases are indeed Flying Foxes as they were labelled or actually SAE's. I've viewed a number of websites that discuss the differences but I can't quite tell. These are 4-5" fish and if these are flying foxes, they should have been fighting each other for territory. Instead, they are grouping together most of the time, the slightly thinner one snuggling up to the other. But again, if they were SAE's, their behaviour should be more active, they should be attacking algae (which this tank has in abundance) instead of being reclusive and sedentary. Maybe the long tailed comets and ropefish are intimidating them?

I've eliminated CAE's (which I have) and False SAE's as possible identities. Through the page descriptions and differing photos, I can't tell if these are Foxes or SAE's.

You Try!

The most acurate determining factor is if the black line follows right thru the tale. Once SAEs get over 3" they tend to wait for fishfood instead of eating algae.

Can you get a better picture of the barbels? They're a pretty good indicator of which fish you have.

SAEs sometimes lose their taste for algae as they get older, preferring flake food (or whatever else you're serving). Maybe you should have bid on the Ameca splendens?

Are the ameca splendens aggressive? I was tempted by them myself... sorry if this is hijacking a post... *ducks and runs*

I think that you and I talked about those fish yesterday at the auction. I am pretty sure that they were SAEs.

I will go along with everyone else on the activities as they age, it seems like they get a little older and accidently taste fish food, then they look back at the algae and say "I am never eating that sh#t again".

Good luck with your new free loading SAEs, I think that you will find that they will take care of some types of algae still once they settle in.

Kevin