8 Legged Freak

Here he is, all curious about the camera. I'll only have it for a few weeks, it is pretty much an adult.

only a few weeks? like its gonna kick the bucket on you?! what the hell- why bother. Just when you get attached it kicks it.... seems odd to me. cool looking thing though- how big is it?

Yeah, if it a female, she will lay eggs, then die... and if its a male it will basically go senile and die. It's just the way it goes. It's mantle length is a couple inches, and it has 8ish inch tentacles. It is hard to explain, I guess I just feel privileged to have it as a guest for its last few weeks. The thing is amazing, touches you to see what you feel like, pulls rubble in front of it's den when it doesn't want you looking at it. plays with empty snail shells, very very clever. I'll be on the lookout for a younger one next time, thats for sure.

Yeah, if it a female, she will lay eggs, then die... and if its a male it will basically go senile and die. It's just the way it goes. It's mantle length is a couple inches, and it has 8ish inch tentacles. It is hard to explain, I guess I just feel privileged to have it as a guest for its last few weeks. The thing is amazing, touches you to see what you feel like, pulls rubble in front of it's den when it doesn't want you looking at it. plays with empty snail shells, very very clever. I'll be on the lookout for a younger one next time, thats for sure.

Cool beast man. I got another coming Thursday as mine is in the process of going senile as well.

I have heard if you feed them red wine they will live longer....

octo4.jpg

Here is another shot. I wish I had a better camera setup, and an assistant. Today I thought the Octopus was settled enough to try hand feeding, and what a photo op I missed. He sent out two tentacles, wrapped them around my fingers that were holding the mussel, got his beak to the mussel, wrapped the rest of his tentacles around my hand while he took the mussel, and then let go to go to the back of the tank.

So cool.