Discus are hardier then u think!

Pop Eye

As most of you know I just started my first tank of discus oh.. about a month or so ago..

And yes They are all still alive. LOl..

-01-

Anyways I have been working long hours at the hospital leaving at 640 am and getting home just after 8 pm.. My brothers girlfriends brother is staying with us this week and sleeping on a mattress on the floor right next to my fish tanks.

I thought i would be nice by not turning on my fish lights at 6 am.

I asked my bros girlfriend to turn on the lights for me, and told her how much to feed my fish. SHe has seen me do it a million times..

I got home the other night at 820 pm. Totally exhausted and looking forward to having a bath and going to bed.. I went downstairs to turn off my lights and check on my fish...

I looked into my discus tank and i couldnt even see the bottom of my tank. It was competly covered in Food.. and the water was brown. Somehow 8 pellets turned into 8 handfulls of NLS plus some flake food.

That wasnt the only tank affected so was 3 other tanks..

Long story short, I did some huge water changes.. and ever single fish made it. I was super surprised to see that the discus were fine and eating the next day!!

needless to say. She hasnt fed the fish since!!! :lol:

As most of you know I just started my first tank of discus oh.. about a month or so ago..

And yes They are all still alive. LOl..

-01-

Anyways I have been working long hours at the hospital leaving at 640 am and getting home just after 8 pm.. My brothers girlfriends brother is staying with us this week and sleeping on a mattress on the floor right next to my fish tanks.

I thought i would be nice by not turning on my fish lights at 6 am.

I asked my bros girlfriend to turn on the lights for me, and told her how much to feed my fish. SHe has seen me do it a million times..

I got home the other night at 820 pm. Totally exhausted and looking forward to having a bath and going to bed.. I went downstairs to turn off my lights and check on my fish...

I looked into my discus tank and i couldnt even see the bottom of my tank. It was competly covered in Food.. and the water was brown. Somehow 8 pellets turned into 8 handfulls of NLS plus some flake food.

That wasnt the only tank affected so was 3 other tanks..

Long story short, I did some huge water changes.. and ever single fish made it. I was super surprised to see that the discus were fine and eating the next day!!

needless to say. She hasnt fed the fish since!!! :lol:

Lets hope thats the end of your bad luck!

Glad to hear they pulled through fine, but doesn't really come as a surprise. Those suckers can be tough as nails!

My first Discus experience was a MAJOR ammonia spike shortly after I got my first 6. Did water changes twice a day with tap water, couldn't believe it in the morning when they'd still be alive, finally got back to decent parameters after about a week of sweating bullets, and never lost a one! Think the trick is to start with healthy ones, and just keep them healthy - an ounce of prevention.... Then they can actually take quite a bit of abuse on occasion.

More Discus coming on Friday!... ;)

Edited by k9outfit