modifying canopy?

snaggle

I want to modify the lights in my canopy that came with my 150. It has 2 4' NO fluorescents in it I want to change the lighting to 12 23w day light CF and 1 4' Marine glow light. It is a for a 6' tank.

Here is a pick of what I have in there now.

DSC04828s.jpg

DSC04829s.jpg

I want to use these things to install the CF lights.

DSC04857s.jpg

So to install these light fixtures can just crew them to a couple blocks of wood and use electrical tape and silicone to seal the bear wires, or should I get the weather proof boxes to mount the lights?

Brad

Hmmm I am going to running short on space having to use boxes. I might need to rethink my plans.

The watherproof boxes are just plastic ones with a gasket on it, they are used for stuff like out side lights.

Brad

Hmmm I am going to running short on space having to use boxes. I might need to rethink my plans.

The watherproof boxes are just plastic ones with a gasket on it, they are used for stuff like out side lights.

Brad

The box is smaller than the fixture .Are you using the straight CF or the round ones.They have some problems with the round as they shorted out at the first bend.That was in THE EAST.

I am using the curly-q Phillips daylight bulbs they are quite large. I might have to look for a double fixture that has the lights at 90 degree angles.

Could I mount the lights on the back of the canopy or would that make it too dark in the front? The back of the canopy is opened but I can use something to make a mount. I will try and post a pic after lunch.

Brad

Putting the lights at the back won't make the front overall very dark, I have backlighting in my tank however, and you can really tell where the light hits the most because of where the algae grows.

why not try 27w CF 6500K at HD sku# 145000 12.98$ for 2 a better light for plants.

Are these the bulbs?

If there are those are the ones I am using. I should be doing the mods after my trip to Ontario. I will post pics on how I make out.

Brad