Excel + Riccia = 0

jvision

I've set up a 10 gal, dosing EI and using Excel as a carbon source. Dosage is at or a little above recommended dosages, and my Riccia mountain is wasting away... :(

I'm going to cut back to 1/2 dosage, but the Glosso is growing so well that I may trade the Riccia for Java Moss...

May need to buy back some Riccia :wacko:

Jason,

Did you sell a bag of Riccia at the auction in Edmonton? It is the light green mossy looking stuff correct? I may have some for you, we could probably work out a trade for a little whiteworm starter culture. It is doing very well in my daughters GF tank and also in my Convict tank. I think I have some in some juvie tanks also.

I'm using DIY co2 and Kent Freshwater plant Micronutrients (about 15 years old) on it and it is doing well.

Thanks

Brad

Edited by bosshog

Do you think the problem you have is with the flourish excell or the Fertilizer Jason?

It's definitely the Excel - I've seen it happen with a few plants now, as Werner mentioned. I'm cutting back to every other day dosage, see if that'll help.

BTW, Patrick give me a PM, and we'll get you hooked up w. some whiteworms. :)

Edited by jvision

Last night, I said, "To hell with it!" and just set up my little paintball CO2 canister. No more Excel for this tank.

Jason this is too bizarre ...

In my Cherry Shrimp Ranch, also a 10gal, I am having exactly the opposite problem!

My Java Moss is going gang busters, the Riccia is maintaining & the Glosso has died out :(

The big difference is that I have a lush carpet of the small leaved Salvinia (from you) on the surface.

I've got 2x13watt CF lighting, dosing Flourish daily & Excel every 2nd day.

Maybe the Salvinia is taking enough of the potency out to not adversely affect the others & I think the Glosso is not doing well 'cause it's not getting enough light.

Vic

Edited by vic622

Nature's Corner gets it in from time to time. About every other ACE auction there's a bag or two, as well.