Too Much Flow

Cap'n

I just finished going through all the trouble of switching my old eheim classic with a wet/dry professional and there is way too much flow for my 55gal. Is there any way I can dumb the current down or should I go back to old reliable?

Can you get a "control valve" like the one that XP3 has? It connects before the spraybar and allows you to control the output.

Js

That's so crazy it just might work!

Couldn't I also simply turn down one of the in / out valves?

I'm gonna go try...

Will this cause any damage to the pump?

I kind of figured it wouldn't be good for the pump in the long run.

I was thinking of drilling more holes in the current bar.

I don't have enough room to add length to the spraybar, unless I put it along the back of the tank and spray the water forward...

Following a few days use the cannister is pumping through considerably less water, so the flow is almost tolerable. But now I'm intrigued by the concept of adding more spraybars. And since this is destined to be a discus tank I think the extra work will be appreciated by the future occupants.

Anybody else do something along these lines?

I did that a while back. I added a couple extra pieces to the spraybar and ran it the entire length of the tank back. It gave a nice slow flow rate (I didn't want to lose too much CO2 from surface turbulence.) I did end up with several dead spots in the tank because of all the plants and wood in there.

I have recently switched to the newer Eheim spraybar and have it installed on the side of the tank. There's a good steady flow with this; not too much, not too little. Certainly better than with the original piece of spraybar that came with my filter. I also have a pump in the other end of the tank to keep water moving in the back corner behind a large piece of bogwood.