Channa Bleheri Species Only

Slough Shark

In light of the recent photos that I saw of AllGo'n'Show's Channa Gachua, I want one! So after doing some research and asking around I have planned a setup for a Channa Bleheri. Here it is so far:

Stocking:

Fauna

Channa Bleheri

Feeders

Flora

Tape Grass

Java moss

Elodea

Substrate

Estes Black Gravel

Decoration

Black Lava Rock

Largish Driftwood :rolleyes:

Filtration

Lee's Original Undergravel Filter and/or Fluval 4 (which is better?)

Any Objections

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man all this talk about Channa sp. has me thinking I want one. Ah, I have to keep reminding myself ... one tank at a time. What size of tank are you setting up? If you're going live plants, think light and CO2. Regarding filtration, I'd go (appropriately sized) cannister.

Cheers

ps. I'm betting you'll hear from Fluval haters ... my opinion ... if you currently have one (Fluval) use it, if you're about to go buy a cannister, research your options and buy what you think best suits your needs and not worry about it too much.

Edited by Morhua

Channa bleheri prefer little water movement and are not picky about plants. They do seem to enjoy multiple pieces of bogwood as well as a thick cover of floating plants. Mine spawned a few times in a twenty gallon tank so decorated with the bogwood and a thick cover of Bacopa caroliniana ( I'm sure any floating plant species will do ). It was filtered by a slow bubbling sponge filter. As for the feeders, I never fed my adults any, just the regular compost worms, frozen krill, and even got them to eat cichlid pellets.

I'm hearing some awesome advice, thanks! The tank is 25 Gal, I'm thinking of removing the idea of lava rock and going with just bogwood. Will I really need Co2 Injecttions for these plants?

I guess the Fluval is not in play anymore, but I could use the fluval in my 20 Gal Mekong Biotope instead and steal the AC 70 from it.

Thanks all!

Taylor

and steal the AC 70 from it.

Thanks all!

Taylor

I would not suggest it...the amount of open space required to accomodate an Aquaclear is more than plenty for a snakehead to slip out of...hit Aquagiant and get one of their biggest sponge filters...cheap and easy....and a hole just big enough for an airline is mighty small.

Oh IMO just 1 is enough for a 25 Gal, 2 is definitely pushing it. There's not enough space for me to make hiding places for them.

I will definately do that then, after sleeping over it, I decided that using the Fluval in my 20 Gal would be a terrible idea, so it works out in the end. So I need to get an Air Pump and some line to pump air into the sponge filter? Which one:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl366...ewType=Category

Thanks again everyone!!!

This is my current Bleheri setup.

3 Bleheri. 1Pair...1 loner

75G Tank

AC500

LOTS of plants live/fake

lots of rock cover and wood cover

I have been using a glass cover and brought in those plastic pieces that slip onto the glass to seal in the rest of the tank so there are no jumpers.

Lots of little fish as feeders but the Bleheri dont care for them.

I feed Beefheart and frozen shrimp/krill. some NLS for the other little buggers.

They haven't been as happy since they came out of the 45G and went into the 75.

Thats about to change as most of the fish in the tank are heading for the Arctic when I get home. then a good rearranging and hopefully they can be happy again.

Edited by FishBrain

How much space will this fish need to get out of the tank? I'm also wondering, is it okay to have just one by itself?

This question still stands:

Do I need to get an Air Pump and some line to pump air into the sponge filter? Which sponge filter?:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl366...ewType=Category

When mine were about a quarter sized round two of them made it out a hole the same size. These guys seem to have dead on accuracy. But that goes without saying being a predator and all.

Basically they will get out a hole that they will fit through.

I found one infront of my main door, half dried up. been there a good portion of the night and from its gills back was hard but it was still breathing. I placed it into the tank and after a good shedding it has become king of the castle.

Hardy little guys.

If you haven't already you should check out snakeheads.org great site!!

BTW Have you been able to find any in Edmonton?

Edited by FishBrain

I'm hearing some awesome advice, thanks! The tank is 25 Gal. Will I really need Co2 Injecttions for these plants?

I guess the Fluval is not in play anymore, but I could use the fluval in my 20 Gal Mekong Biotope instead and steal the AC 70 from it.

Thanks all!

Taylor

Yeah I wouldn't use a canister on a smaller tank either. I'd go with the suggested sponge filter or an AC unit. Regarding CO2: I have a small unit on my 20 gallon and my plants are thriving. The Brazilian penny wort I got from Werner a while back has doubled (I just trimmed it back). It's your choice if you want to use CO2, but I think they'll do better with it.

Cheers

Yeah, snakeheads.org was one of the first websites I checked out, I didn't find it too helpful though, I couldn't find my way around the site very easily. Most of it just gave sources for research, I found.

I haven't been able to check any stores in edmonton for Channa, but I suspect none will have any.

I guess i will go with CO2 in the tank, might have to do it in my Biotope too, I gotta green up that tank!

I'm glad, tis tank isn't looking too expensive to set up, plus its gonna be awesome! My first predator fish!!!!!!

B)