Need some advice *update*

Murminator

Ok I new to the whole cichlid seen I have only had them for about month or so and well I must be doing something right :thumbs: cause last week my female egyptian mouth brooder (Pseudocrenilabrus Philander ) is holding and boy does she have a mouthful her head is square, and last night while feeding I noticed my agressive feeding sunshine peacock female was staying back from the frenzy and low and behold she has got a mouthful also. These fish are fairly young and I'm pretty sure these are the 1st brood. At what time should I moved them to there own tanks? or can I leave them in the community tank? there is presently 1M 1F egyptian mouth brooders, 1M 2F sunshine peacocks, 1M german red, 1M borleyi and a pleco. I don't really want to move them to early and risk spitting them

Could really use some help........oh yes and I'm pretty happy :thumbs:

Edited by Murminator

If you have a rearing tank ready go ahead and move them. They may try to hold too long if they fear losing the brood to tankmates. You may find they spit quite readily in a safer enviroment. You may get a lot of enjoyment in leaving mom with brood the first week or so. She'll teach them to go forth and forage and return to mouth for safety. Sue

Please don't remove the peacocks. With a single male german red in with the others, there's a chance that you've got hybrids. Congrats on the Egyptian mouthbrooders, I was actually thinking about them the other day as I haven't seen them around for years. If you manage to raise some fry I'd be interested (their huge mouths might make them another great candidate for my Syno's spawns).

Please don't remove the peacocks. With a single male german red in with the others, there's a chance that you've got hybrids. Congrats on the Egyptian mouthbrooders, I was actually thinking about them the other day as I haven't seen them around for years. If you manage to raise some fry I'd be interested (their huge mouths might make them another great candidate for my Syno's spawns).

I don't think the german red would be the daddy he is much smaller and spends most time moving from hiding spot to hiding spot the sunshine likes to pick on him

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Well I know the german is definatly not the daddy I took him out shortly after beacuse he has no tail or fins left :( and now the other sunshine female is holding

I went out a bought another tank to move the momma's and before I could get the net in the water babys were swimming out the egyptians females gills, so I scooped up the babies(2) and her a moved them into a new tank, now there is 11 babies on the bottom 5 I think are dead. I also moved the sunshine females to a new tank hopefully that goes better

Ya just leave them alone in the tank i have all my peacocks in my 180 gallon and when they

are holding i just count my 15 days then i strip the females all goes well.

If you try removing the female she will most likely spit the eggs out.

I'v done it once and never again!

• 5 years later...