Severum?

BigA

Does anyone know anything or have a great link to info about Severums? Has anyone ever kept them? I've gone to all the usual places like the krib and badmans, but am looking for something a lot more in depth. Is there a good book I can purchase that would have info on it?

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Edited by BigA

I'd say sevrums are very similar in needs and character to angels - they're just a bit bigger, growing to around 6-8". Just watch out with plants. My experience has been that they'll chew plants apart just for fun. They always have an apetite and will eat anything that'll fit in it's mouth (so stay away from smaller fish and any shrimp - mine hoovered a couple 3"+ Amano shrimp).

They don't seem to be very agressive - again, like angels - but they'll protect their spawn like any cichlid. If your goal is breeding them, I'd either try to find an established pair, or start with 4-8 juvies and let them pair off naturally. You'll probably want at least a 55 for a pair - I had a single adult female in a 30 gal hospital tank, and it was too shallow, IMO - but, you will have enough space for dithers/community fish as well.

Have you tried cichlid-forum? They usually have some good articles on different cichlids (tho, they're heavy on the african spp).

Jason makes some great points - IMHO, they are the most adapable, easy to keep ciclid available. I've kept them with just about everything, from semi-agressive CA's such as firemouths, green terrors, etc, to really small juvie angels and festivums - they are very adaptable - they can hold their own against most, but don't go out of their way to bother others, unless you are a plant. For some reason, they are offended by plants, in my experience: plastic ones get uprooted and eventually taken apart, real ones get shredded. They also like to move gravel, and do their own aquascaping.

But great personalities, great eaters, and they will be among the first to greet you when you come home.

Here's a link on cichlid forums to the different varieties available these days, to get you started: Search for "severum"

They get pretty big after a while but you probably know that. Possibly my favorite overall fish? I do notice that there are a lot more varieties available these days, from red-headed, to turquoise, etc. Gold Sevs are cool too. The little ones you see 50 in a tank in LFS's don't do them justice - they really get nice as they get bigger, greens and golds alike.

HTH,

Phil

I love my severums. I bought a large gold one last year, it is a personal favourite of mine now. I liked their temperament so much I went out and bought 4 more green ones. I found this great article on severums in the Calgary Aquarium Society's library taken from the Calquarium: (another of many great articles posted there by Grant Gussie)

http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com/Arti...eap_Discus.html