Mystery pleco: Clown or zebra?

Brad

Hey all,

Just picked up a pair of young plecos from the local pet store, about 2". Anyway, they were sold under the name "Zebra Plecostomus L-104". After doing a little research, we discovered that L-104 is, in fact, Panaque maccus, a clown variety, that looks vaguely similar to my zebra, but not quite. I discovered that zebras are in fact L-046, and the zebras I saw are kind of similar, but not entirely. Anyway, I'm wondering if it could be a different subspecies or perhaps a regional color variation. I will post pictures. Please give me your thoughts.

Brad

Hey all,

Just picked up a pair of young plecos from the local pet store, about 2". Anyway, they were sold under the name "Zebra Plecostomus L-104". After doing a little research, we discovered that L-104 is, in fact, Panaque maccus, a clown variety, that looks vaguely similar to my zebra, but not quite. I discovered that zebras are in fact L-046, and the zebras I saw are kind of similar, but not entirely. Anyway, I'm wondering if it could be a different subspecies or perhaps a regional color variation. I will post pictures. Please give me your thoughts.

Brad

There is a huge difference between the true L046 zebra plecos and any other pleco, especially L104clowns.

PlanetCatfish.com is best reference for pics. Real zebras are rare and you likely wont find one for sale for less

than $400 apiece these days. It seems alot of people refer to a fish with stripes as 'zebra', but the real ones

are absolutely unmistakable. There are no regional color variations with them, they only come from one place-

the Rio Xingu Brazil, and and export ban on them has been in place for a number of years, making them very

hard to come by. The L046 is a hypancistrus, the L104 is a panaque, very different species

I brought in a few Columbian Zebra Plecos a while ago - they're fairly closely related to the True Zebra - the L# for the Columbians was L129.