Identifying Pl*cos

FishBrain

I am wondering how one goes about determining the type of pleco they have. I understand that planetcatfish is really good but do you go there and just start searching the lists, and looking at pictures? Or is there a rhyme to the reason? I have one that I need to figure out but would like to understand how somepeople come out and just say....OH thats L1??.

Edited by FishBrain

Often if I am looking for info or positive Id on a particular fish I will use Google or Yahoo images and the name of the fish. Like clown pleco and then take it from there.

When I am looking for info on all my cat fish I do try to get as much detail as I can I use to just look for general info like on a albino bristle nose pleco. but I have found that even with in that small group there can e such a huge difference that I try to find as much as I can usually to no avail, I am not that good at that type of research. I find the best places to look are plocofanatic and planet catfish.

Brad

What if you dont know where to start other than it is a pleco? I have searched many pictures and am going cross eyed.

Often if I am looking for info or positive Id on a particular fish I will use Google or Yahoo images and the name of the fish. Like clown pleco and then take it from there.

Then you should try the suggestion in my first post......... take a picture of the fish and post it on Plecofanatics! They are really good with ID's over there, they play this game where someone posts a picture of a small piece of a pleco, and then other people guess which fish it is. :)

Then you should try the suggestion in my first post......... take a picture of the fish and post it on Plecofanatics! They are really good with ID's over there, they play this game where someone posts a picture of a small piece of a pleco, and then other people guess which fish it is. :)

HHMMM I will check that out.