Discus

zoogirl

I have a juevenile discus that has not been eating since I got him two weeks ago.

I have tried Spectra life grow, Frozen blood worms, tetra pro crisps, tatra granules, Frozen brine shrimp, frozen Mysis.

The tank has been treated with PraziPro in the past week. 2 water changes since treatment.

I was wondering if there is an appetite stimulant anyone can recommend?

Juvenile Discus need to be in groups of 5 or more to really thrive. I find any less than 5 and they just waste away...don't want to eat, lose weight rapidly...sort of look like they are pouting/moping around. Much more skittish as a single fish too...they are a schooling fish more as a juvy than an adult, an adult can be kept alone but overall, Discus like company of their own kind.

Hope this helps.

Tammy

Juvenile Discus need to be in groups of 5 or more to really thrive. I find any less than 5 and they just waste away...don't want to eat, lose weight rapidly...sort of look like they are pouting/moping around. Much more skittish as a single fish too...they are a schooling fish more as a juvy than an adult, an adult can be kept alone but overall, Discus like company of their own kind.

Hope this helps.

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

There are 6 Juvies in a 55 Gal. The other discus are all eating well. The fish is not too skittish, he swims around with the other fish most of the time, he'll take a blood worm in his mouth, but then spits it out, only for another fish to eat it!

This might help:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/spironucleus.php

IMO a more effective treatment than PraziPro is Jungle Tank Buddies Parasite Clear.

It contains both praziquantel and metronidazole, and 3 treatments should knock out any internal

pathogens that this fish may be fighting off. (which is what this sounds like)

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=TB635

HTH

• 5 weeks later...

You can also try live daphnia, if you can find it in locally. It will trigger the hunting instinct of your fish and is very efficient to clear the intestine tracks.

Edited by kem