Stupid little snails!

Ehren

:chair: Does anyone know how to get rid of a snail infestation? My grandpa's tank had them, he got them from my uncle, so I have them now. It is ridiculous the are taking over the tank! In one ten gallon, I drained the water, rinsed it with vinegar/water. dried it out for two months, they are still in there! Even after using clean water to re-fill it. AAAARRRRGGGHHH! :guns: :boom:

Some of the loaches or puffer fish will take care of your snali problem.

Less than a month with a dwarf puffer in my community 33g and I have a hard time finding a snail in there. They were completely overrunning the place prior to that. :)

Mechanical removal works well too, if you're persistant. Snails tend to 'stampede' (albeit slowly) to a tastey food source. Place a saucer of sorts with a pile of tastey food on it, shut of the aquarium lights, then extract the saucer and all other snails you find in the area an hour or teo later. This tequnique requires that you do not have fish in there that will immediately devour or scatter the saucer of food.

Otherwise, I agree with the above suggestions. Avoid using snail-be-gone chamicals (I know, it's tempting) as the stuff could destroy a lot more than just snails.

:wacko: i totaly know what you are going through...what i do is put some cucmber in the tank for the night useally in the mornning i find a few stuck to it i take em out put them in the garbage, and if i see them in the tank i net them out if there bigger or sqwish the against the side for my fish to eat...i know its kindda a pain in the A :cuss: but i found it has kept the snail population somewhat under control

Loaches. I kind of wanted a few snails, I had quite a few then I got 3 loaches. Within a couple of days not a snail to be found. Do some research on loaches before you buy them though, some species get quite large.

Brad

Loaches. I kind of wanted a few snails, I had quite a few then I got 3 loaches. Within a couple of days not a snail to be found. Do some research on loaches before you buy them though, some species get quite large.

Brad

Yo Yo loaches are a good choice... They dont get to large and they do a good job on the snails

I have two clown loaches, and two weather loaches, they gave up I think. I might try a yo yo loach, or puffer, that is a really good idea. I would like to crush them or throw them out, but why throw away a perfectly good food source? The worst infestation is in my 55gal, and there are hundreds of them, so manually picking them out would be a good days work. And the thing with the ten gallon I cleaned, I figured it must have came from another tank, but honestly I filled it with new water, new fish, and new plants, so I have absolutly no clue where they came from. On the plus side, the glass is quite clean.

The eggs most likely came in on your plants. Soaking new plants in a weak solution of potassium permanganate will destroy eggs. Also, a snail population is proportionate to its food supply- if the tank is overrun with snails, you're probably overfeeding the fish.

I would try crushing them, but I would never be able to get them all! And I think pea puffers are too small for my tank, so yo yo loaches are maybe the way to go.

I was going to say that:

The eggs most likely came in on your plants.

and that:

Also, a snail population is proportionate to its food supply- if the tank is overrun with snails, you're probably overfeeding the fish.

but now I'll just second those thoughts.