Frogspawn dying?

My frogspawn is starting to look bad. A lot of the tentacles have gone brown, skinny and less flexible and are no longer fat and healthy looking. (not showing god color)

I don't know why. Everything else in the tank seems alright. What do I do? What could be wrong? Should I change where he is located? Have not had him very long. (Just jammed in a hole in the rock at the moment because I have not bought reef cement yet) I feed the coralife gumbo to the corals weekly so I don't think it is starving or anything. Been doing weekly water changes of 5 gallons (thinking of modifying that to make it every couple of days only a gallon or 2 each time). Feeding NLS sparingly to the clowns in the tank to avoid pollution and also have been adding baby or newly hatched brine shrimp every couple of days to the tank (I know the nutritive value is not great for BR, I do feed them with the gumbo in their pop bottle hatchery though, lol-figured it couldn't hurt though and the clowns love them-after their nls of course)

Please help :sad:

__________________________-answering question below

Size of tank?---14g biocube, been running one month and almost 2 weeks with LR, tank was bought then also (so bulbs are new), runs about 84F, no bioballs or other filter media (only run a sponge on water change day/s for detritus, rinse it and take it out), running bag of high density carbon changed weekly, seio pump for flow directed to the top of the tank, not at the coral

Wattage of light?---Whatever came with it (10k and an actinic)

Water parameters?----Sg 1.022, pH looks to be 8.3 or 8.4, nitrite shows lowest color on the chart-slightly lighter than the lightest color on the chart (test colors only show 5 lightest color-110 darkest color, whatever that means), nitrate looks to be 0, so light there is no corresponding color, ammonia appears to be 0

----I do not own any other tests besides these.

**I am new to reading these tests and to me colors seem innacurate say in comparison to the nice exactness of a refractometer, so I could be wrong (wishing there was a digital version instead of all this color matching nonsense)

How long have you had it? Had the frogspawn only about a week

What ALL do you have for livestock and coral in this tank? *Especially with in close proximity* ---nothing is less than two inches away, 2" away 1 zoo and 1 xenia. I have 2 oscellaris, 4 zoo frags, 1 xenia frag, 1 frogspawn, 3 astrea, 3 blue-leg hermit crabs, 1 red leg hermit crab, nothing at all is touching the head of the frogspawn (no rock, corals, anything)--tank was started with only the LR and 2 hermit crabs initially, everything else added last weekend

--------------------------------------------------------

I realize the tank runs warm, I don't even have a heater on it, so really not much I can do about it. No I did not think about squirting anything into the frogspawn, I thought it would be absorbed in the water column. And js are you talking frozen mysis? Should I be upping the salinity? Any thoughts?

Edited by sharuq1

When you feed the corals do you put the gumbo right into the frogspawn?

I give mine mysis shrimp every few days. I use a dropper (though tweezers would be better) to place the shrimp directly on the tentacles. You might want to give that a try.

I was told that 1.022 was fine for fish, but corals need it closer to 1.025. That might be something else to look in to.

84* might be a bit high.

Those are a few things you can research that might lead to some answers.

Another couple things you may want to think about. Frogspawn dont like alot of flow so perhaps trying him in a diferent spot in the tank would help(couldnt hurt at this point). Now I'm no expert so someone else may want to chine in on this but Colby at Elite mentioned to me once that nls contains trace amounts of copper and I should really consider something else for feeding. For fowlr its "ok" and for fresh water its pretty much the best but with corals....not so much. Also some thing else to try might be to turn of your circulation for a half hour to an hour when you spot feed to give the corals time to do their thing. Or maybe try feeding at night when the sweeper tentacles should be out. Do you use any additives like calcium, strontium or iodide? Ok so that was more like five things to think about but the more bases you cover the better right?

No I don't add additives, I use ocean pro pure salt and water changes for that. Will do "the turn off things" next time I coral feed. As to the nls I had not heard that from anyone. The lfs fed theirs nls in the same tank with the same equipment and also had several frogspawn in there and they looked great.

Checked temperature with another thermometer and both thermometers are reading 80 right at this particular moment. Going to do a water change today of maybe 2 or 2.5 g

Edited by sharuq1

• 1 month later...

Actually yes, it has improved :D I moved it to a higher spot on the rocks, made sure to keep up with WC's and feed it mysis. It has done the ugly tentacle thing on me a couple times now, but so far I have found if I feed it, then do a WC it perks right up.

I have to disagree with the NLS having Copper in it. I have been feeding it to my reef tank since I started running it and it hasn't effected any of my corals, not even the ones that end up falling on the mushrooms or even the ones the shrimp take and I think if it had copper in it the shrimp would be dead for sure.

Can you get a fan moving to lower the temp of the tank? Also you say 84 without a heater what does it drop to at night when things are cooling off?

The food that goes into my tank is NLS, frozen shrimp, Reefroids, and phyto. The only problem I find is my sun corals haven't been doing so great but I think it has been more of a direct feed issue.

Oh that reminds me. We bought an air conditioner for the bedroom. The temp still stays rather warm (about 80), but no longer having the big fluctuations like before. There is a bit of an issue with the fans only working properly when they feel like it, but Albert is ordering me in a new hood, so that should help. I am thinking of changing the stock pump as well.