Rainbow and livebearer

Terrie Lee

I want to put my limia nigrofasciata, herotilapia multispinosa, and lamprologus ocellatus (I think that is what they are I got them from Tanker at the auction)

together in my 29 gallon tank. I was planning on a black sand substrate as the shellies do not like my gravel.

Will any of them be too aggressive?

Oh there is a breeding trio of the limia, two of the shellies and ten of the rainbows.

The shellies can be pretty aggressive and might cause some problems if they dont' have enough room to have their own territories. I used to keep a pair of Ocellatus in a 10g and they attacked every tankmate I tried and even attacked my hand if I put it in the tank.

So if any are going to be a problem it might be them.

The shellies have been quite peaceful. Especially toward each other. They hang out all of the time in very close proximity. I do not know what it means but they sometimes take turns going in and out of a shell.

I have Bosmani Rainbows, and Australian Rainbows in my community tank, they bug each other but not any of the other fish. Mind you all the fish that come to my house NEVER behave like they are supposed to. My cichlids school, my aggressive fish are non-agressive, and my algae eaters do not really eat any algae. So my experiences are quite unique. But most rainbows that I put in my tank, act the same way, so I have never had a problem mixing them with swordtails, tetras, loaches, blood parrot cichlid, or catfish.