Neo. Cylindricus Fry & a Problem

fishytime

Noticed a week ago that my cylindricus female was guarding a clutch of eggs. Looked the next day and the eggs were gone. I thought that she either aborted and ate them or the plecos got to them.Well I poked my head in there today to find a couple dozen free swimming fry. The problem is I need to move the tank(75g) in a couple days. I will probably have to strip the tank right down to bare bottom to move it, and I think once I start pulling the aquascaping out the fry will disappear into the gravel. I would like to raise them If at all possible...Any suggestions?

Edited by fishytime

When the parents move the fry somewhere. You could try catching the,.

Or suck them out with the gravel vac into a bucket.

I also like to use a ear cleaner. to suck the fry up but in a tank that big it might be a bit harder.

or if its a cave or flowerpot(sorry dont know how they breed) you can move wherever they hide the fry.

Good Luck

Best bet is to try to remove the fry into something else that you can transport easily. I've always found that siphoning them works best for me as well, though I'd probably try a net first. They've bred once, so as long as you keep things stable and the move isn't too bad, they should breed again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I managed to save a few of the babies. I probably could have saved more but I didnt want to keep my help standing there to long. Funny thing was as I started trying to catch the little ones I found three larger fry from a previous spawn that I compleatly missed. :blush: So anyway I now have around twelve or so cylindricus fry growing out in a 10g. :smokey:

Edited by fishytime