Bristlenose pleco

patrick

I wonder what happened to your nerite snails... I have 5 that have been in my African tank for 3 months now...

PH IS 8.2 Liquid rock 1 teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of Epson Salts per 5 gallons of water..

were your nerites Ruby netites?

They were sold to me as spotted snails. I asked if they were nerite and she said yes. Do you have a picture of one of your snails?

I wonder what happened to your nerite snails... I have 5 that have been in my African tank for 3 months now...

PH IS 8.2 Liquid rock 1 teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of Epson Salts per 5 gallons of water..

They were sold to me as spotted snails. I asked if they were nerite and she said yes. Do you have a picture of one of your snails?

Here is a link to the picture of a Ruby nerite... Top snail is a Zebra I believe and the bottom is a Ruby...

http://www.applesnail.net/fotoalbum/displa...=0&uid=1722

You can buy Rubys at Big A's sold under some other name I cant remeber at the moment

Here is a link to the picture of a Ruby nerite... Top snail is a Zebra I believe and the bottom is a Ruby...

http://www.applesnail.net/fotoalbum/displa...=0&uid=1722

You can buy Rubys at Big A's sold under some other name I cant remeber at the moment

Just remembered what name they were at Big A'a ( Union )

Great! Yes I have seen those. The spotted one looked similar in shape but then again, alot of snails look similar. I might try one of those and if it works I can get more of them.

I am kind of concerned though that the other snails died right away. I know they are very sensitive to copper but as far as I know I have no copper in the water. I've had a chemical analysis done and there is no copper in the water coming from the tap. I suppose something could have been in the rocks that effects snails. Maybe I should add some Prime to detoxify any heavy metals that could possibly be in the water?

Edited by patrick

BN's are quite messy, they are a pleco. But they aren't as messy as the bigger plecos. They top out at about 5".

Bristlenose leave lots of mess... they eat like crazy and have the left overs to prove it...

Not sure they will like the high PH but will probably do ok if that is the way you want to go...

• 3 weeks later...

I have B N Pleco's in about 9 of my cichlid tanks with a PH as high as yours. 8.8, right out of the tap. It's also well water.

Thet are all doing fine . never a problem :thumbs: