Bristlenose pleco

patrick

I had a BN Pleco in with my Africans for a long time. He owned the tank! And, that's w. mbuna!

why is your ph so high? Are you adding additives to it?

I'm on well water and that's how it is right from the tap. I'm setting up a Tanganyika tank so I don't mind the high PH. The water is also very soft however so I have added Seachems Equilibrium to bring the GH up to 15 (it's at <1 from the tap). I didn't want to use marine salt or cichlid salt since it adds more sodium and I already have tons of sodium in the water. Equilibrium only adds calcium, magnesium and potassium. Anyway, I was hoping to be able to keep 1-2 bristlenose to maintain the algea.

Edited by patrick

I am using Ruby snails in my African tank... they are doing well... and a heck of a lot less mess then Bristlenose plecos...they seem to keep the algae down well...

Is that the same as Ruby Nerite Snail? They do not eat plants and do not reproduce easily correct?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had bristlenose plecos with my cichlids forever and they don't mind it at all. They eat well, can stand their ground against competitors and add another element to the tank. My fish usually don't bother with them just because of their odd looks. I also have a goldy pleco in my other tank but it seems a little scared of the cichlids. any pleco would work if you ask me

Good luck

I tried 3 spotted nerite snails but they did not seem to like the water at all. I lost all three within 2 days. I used the drip method for one hour to get them used to the water. I have no idea why they died. The water quality is great with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate, PH 8.8, GH 12, KH 24, and the temp is at 26C. I added 4 Julidochromis marlieri last week and they are very healthy. Two of them have already paired up. I think I will try a BN and see how it works out since I already got lots of green algae. If it works out I'll add a second one. From what I have heard the BN is not as dirty as regular plecos and also much better at controlling algae, I suppose the reason for that could be because they don't grow so darn big.

I gave Patrick one of my mystery snails to try out, he has a 75 gal tank, and one mystery snail to handle the entire tank... one day later he says oh your snail isn't doing much damage to the algae.. pfft... my poor snail would explode... !!!!! hahahahaha