Hornwart and African Cichlids

corrosionjerry

FYI: People that are trying to grow plants in their African tanks.

I Read an interesting article from a fellow who mention when he was at lake Malawi he noticed that the Lake had Hornwart growing in it and now keeps Hornwort in his African tanks..

Think I will give this a try...

FYI: People that are trying to grow plants in their African tanks.

I Read an interesting article from a fellow who mention when he was at lake Malawi he noticed that the Lake had Hornwart growing in it and now keeps Hornwort in his African tanks..

Think I will give this a try...

I did a quick checkup on www.tropica.com and it looks like it would work great:

Ceratophyllum demersum

Family: Ceratophyllaceae

Continent: Cosmopolitan

Region: Cosmopolitan

Height: 5-80+ cm

Width: 5-15+ cm

Light requirements: very low-very high

Temperature: 10-28 °C

Hardness tolerance: soft-very hard

pH tolerance: 6-9

Growth: fast

Demands: easy

Have you seen it in any LFS?

I tried this once but it just made a big mess in my tank. The fish were eating/ pulling the needles out and they would get sucked into the filters and float all around the tank. But if your fish leave it alone it would be a great plant to have as they eat up a lot of nitrates.

I tried this once but it just made a big mess in my tank. The fish were eating/ pulling the needles out and they would get sucked into the filters and float all around the tank. But if your fish leave it alone it would be a great plant to have as they eat up a lot of nitrates.

What Africans did you have that did that?

It might work. Can't hurt to try it out, as you can probably find some hornwort for free from someone.

Just IME, hornwort is a messy plant. The needles fall off and dirty up the tank.

Are you looking for plants that are in the lake or just plants that will work with your fish?

It might work. Can't hurt to try it out, as you can probably find some hornwort for free from someone.

Just IME, hornwort is a messy plant. The needles fall off and dirty up the tank.

Are you looking for plants that are in the lake or just plants that will work with your fish?

I would prefer to keep it natural to the region.

Thanks for your advice

I would prefer to keep it natural to the region.

Thanks for your advice

IF thats the case try Vallisneria as its found in the lake and its worked well in other people's malawi tanks

I currently have about 6 plants of different species in my peacock Tank, also has some tanganikans in there. No problems with plants being chewed. At first they nipped at them but then I scaled up my feedings until they stopped nipping, works great just like training dogs I say. A fish with a full belly I find never seems to bother plants. Mbuna on the other hand that's a different story all together.

Good Luck.