Lake Malawi is SO big...

Tanker

Curiousity bored the cat...

Lake Malawi is SO big... Vancouver Island is 'shorter'. You can darn near fit the island IN the lake... except that VI is a little wider in most points.

It would take about 5 hours to go from end to end in a 'cigarette boat' or 9 hours riding on a JetSki (and 11 tanks of gas). 12,600,000,000 bottles of Evian. Which means it would take Evian 16 years to drain the lake at their current annual production rates.

Just playing around with some numbers, and figured I'd see if things I 'knew' woud put something I'll never see for myself into perspective.

s'ok no one wants to hurt you....put the calculator down...gently now...no one gets hurt. This isn't a needle...nooo....it's just happiness in liquid form...you'll really like it.....it's time to go back to your room now......

From Stuart's place, you can barely see the other side of the lake. If it weren't for the hills, you wouldn't be able to. It takes 3 hours from Salima/Senga bay to the Maleri's (the closest 'real' dive site), and I think somewhere around 11 hours to go to Likoma/Chizumulu in Stuart's boats. I don't remember seeing a single jet ski or cigar boat the whole time, let alone something that even resembles a ski boat. Lots of dugout canoes and ~12' wooden boats with small outboards, but even that took us about 3 hours to go from Nkhata Bay to Lion's cove. Yeah, lots of time in the boats!

Didn't you just get married?

And your wife lets you spend time to do tish kind of stuff, can she talk to mine I :smokey:, need more time to do stuff like that.

Brad

I didn't just get married Brad, a little ways from that still.

Christian - I can't believe I sometimes forget about that little 'incident'. Was scary at the time, but just another story to be told now.

Nev - I'd love to go back, and the sooner the better. Just going on 'vacation' there would be enough, the bringing home of fish for your own tanks is a bonus but wouldn't be the main reason for going (unless I was getting involved in some kind of breeding operation and needed new stock). For a hobbyist to see where the fish they've been keeping almost all their life it was truly a dream come true.