Tank #8 gets a rework..

Zoban

The tank 15Gal that needed major cleaning when I was given it.

HPIM0436.jpg

Slate floor in place.

HPIM0446.jpg

Top down showing the main structure.

HPIM0451.jpg

Front view of structure.

HPIM0452.jpg

One of the face plates drying after drilling the holes and rinse cycle.

HPIM0454.jpg

All assembled fron view

HPIM0457.jpg

Top view showing the two "garden" areas.

HPIM0458.jpg

Painted tremclad black two coats. Front view.

HPIM0459.jpg

Top View.

HPIM0460.jpg

Side view to show paint wrap around.

HPIM0461.jpg

Plan is for a couple Ancistrus and Apistos.

More of a "test project" till I have the space to try similar with a larger tank and thus larger structure.

Main trick is to get this into the house without the wife killing me for adding "yet another tank".

What you think?

I've seen things like this posted before and I love the idea... I wondered about exactly what Christian said, though... how do you clean the back hidey hole areas and make sure there's enough water flow through?

For the most part this one is a test project and you do raise valid points about "cleaning" the caves.

Main thought at the moment to cleaning is to direct water into caves when refilling water changes.

As to drilling and cutting all straight cuts were done with a wetsaw, can be picked up at Princess Auto for about 50 bucks CDN. The holes were drilled with standard cordless 18v and a hole saw that I use at work for cables to run through metal studs. run the drill slow as to not heat up the bit or the slate and cause splits. Hole saw being the type that make lil donuts of the material when you are done.

If you have fish breeding in the caves, the fish will keep them clean - it's just the vacant rooms that may gather waste.

True and I did consider making the caves more of a flow through hide away but also considered that many cave spawners don't like the second entrance. Also the tank is a bit small to get too fansy with the condos.

Was a few thoughts I had while planning / thinking this all out and then making the pieces and setting in place had to adjust thoughts as space didn't really allow for it.

Example being I was gonna put little balconys betwwen the cave entrances for planting riccia and pygmy chains but seeing the structure as it was being test fit decided it would just take that much more space so settled for just the two top terraces.

Definitely a neat idea. I see some potential using your basic ideas but only one or two levels high for lamprologines and julidochromis. Would also be great to have one level 'boxes' built that you'd place on the bottom and stack your other rocks on top of (providing a secure cave with other rocks piled around it to hide it and give a more 'natural' look).

Looking around I found a stand not quite what I was looking for but more then capable of doing the needed job and very sturdy. So home came the stand and it was put together in came the tank and misc filter parts required from the garage and here is what we have now.

HPIM0462.JPG

Slightly different angle.

HPIM0463.JPG

The whole corner shot showing 3 tanks and equip drawers.

HPIM0466.JPG

Oppostite corner as a bonus shot showing 3 tanks there.

HPIM0467.JPG

The entertainment unit completes the rest rest of the wall between the two corners shown. The unit is not exactly small (8 feet long and taller then me) but I still need a bigger house!!!