CO2 Requirements

Fishful Thinking

I'd go for 1-3 Gallon juice jugs. They work better because they're a bit stiffer than pop bottles. Two would probably be ideal. Wait about a week to 10 days before starting the 2nd bottle, then you can rotate them out w/o totally losing all CO2 production.

You'll go DIY for a while, but when you go presurized, you'll never go back!!

I've read about ppl doing a little DIY shopping, and getting themselves set up for around $150. I think I paid around $225 for my set up, and it as all ready to go when I got it. It's a 10lb tank w. reg & needle valve - I bought it in Oct, and haven't touched it since... bubbling 2-3 per sec on a 90 gal.

A good CO2 system will provide enough gas to supply a given amount of water to reach the idealized level of 15ppm of dissolved CO2. As a rule of thumb, each two-liter bottle will provide enough gas for up to 30 gallons of tank water, assuming you use an efficient method of mixing the gas and tank water.

-from A Treatise on DIY CO2 Systems for Freshwater-Planted Aquaria

IMO, with a tank that big, I think you'd be happier going with pressurized right from the start. It's up to you whether the PITA factor trumps the $$ availability. :smokey:

I also have a 90G tank with 2L bottles, it is becoming a pain to keep filling them up weekly plus I go threw quite a bit of sugar! I also have this DIY set up on my 35 G tank, I don't mind the 2L bottle on that one.

Can anyone suggest a good complete setup for a 90G? I think it may be time to upgrade to a pressurized system....

cheers

If you are considering investing in a pressurized system, I would also upgrade your lighting. 1.5 w/g is considered low light. If your low lights plants are doing well, not sure how much of a benefit you are going to get with C02 with that light.