Puffers & Inverts

Slough Shark

Well, seeing as I don't know anything about Red Clawed Crabs, I'm not fully qualified to answer the question, but ..

If the crabs are large and are nocturnal as crays are, they may prey upon the DPs when they are sleeping. I've nudged my DPs after I've turned lights on in the morning and they just don't budge.

If the crabs create a lot of waste, you may have some water quality issues, as DPs are messy eaters to begin with

As with any puffer, they are all unique. They could leave the red crabs alone, or they could go for them immediately as food. In my experience, all DPs I've owned have left my amano shrimp alone, though shrimp are fairly agile and able to get away. Only time would tell with your DPs.

Are red claw crabs fully aquatic or do they need to be able to get air?

It might be cool to do a little palaudium or something. A crab or 2, with maybe a guppy or white cloud minnow in the water part. Or some newts or frogs.

I have a 10g filled with shrimp and really like it. Its fun to watch them crawling about the plants. Also nothing is cuter then a baby shrimp,lol.

With a 10g there are tons of choices.

LOL that's the problem I'm having, too many choices! Red Claws do need access to land/air, so I was planning to put in an ornament I have that will look natural and give them good acces and hiding. So I haven't a clue what to do.

I have never done a tank with just one species before, and although a Paludarium would be cool, I'm already doing one with Nets, Toads and frogs. I was hoping to do an almost purely invert tank, but since nearly all crays would eat the shrimp I wanted to hatch in the tank, that's ruled out. I don't know of the availablility of Red Claws, so they might be ruled out too, plus they aren't compatible with much.

Maybe just the shrimp, or the shrimp with a top dwelling fish (halfbeak or Kili? suggestions?). I don't know!

I agree with Val. My shrimp tank sits on the desk beside my computer and provides hours of entertainment.

Any fish put in with the shrimp will eat baby shrimp. Baby shrimp are really cute, but sometimes I put fish in with them to keep the population down.

I believe red claw crabs are fairly common. Big als usually has a good selection of crabs. I've also seen red claws at PJs. Also, red claws are best kept with a bit of salt in the water, even thought they are sold are freshater crabs.

I wouldn't mix crays or crabs with other inverts or fish. They will most likely eat anything you put in the tank.

IN a 10g you could mix a couple different species of shrimp. There are lots of choose from. Amanos, bumble bee, cherries, ghost, red crystal. I've also seen bamboo/fan shrimp, vampire shrimp, flower shrimp. So if you do a shrimp tank you could make it interesting. Here are some links that show some species

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Shrimps.htm

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Shrimp/

Cool thanks, I had not really thought about doing a shrimp community tank, but now that I look at all the choices, I know I can make it an interesting tank. The Krib page also reminded me that I could steal a few Scuds (Amphipods) from the Lake and pop them in the tank, maybe I will be able to distinguish the size differrence between our native Gammarus Amphips and the Fijian ones I have in my SW tank!

Now you have me excited to get this show on the road! Thanks!

Taylor