Bristelnose in a Fry Tank

JasonD

Hi All,

Have a small BN pleco that I got from jvision awhile back and she has done a tremendous job cleaning up all my tanks. I am wondering would it be safe to add her to one of my fry tanks that has some algae in it or will she go after the fry? They are very small (1/2") flametails and labs.

Thanks,

Jay

At 1/2" they should be fine.

I have a BN pleco in my african fry growout tank and I've never noticed the pleco going after the fry. Since mouthbrooder fry are so large when spit, I dont' think you really have to worry. They can already swim pretty well and could get away.

I'd be worried if you had tiny wigglers or fry from a egg layer, as they are much smaller and tend to stay on the bottom of the tank or gravel for a few weeks.

If the fry are free swimming then you will probably be ok. Plecos have been known to eat eggs though. More of an issue in a tank where the mother wont kick the crap out of the pleco. I have plecos of some flavor in all my freshwater tanks( mostly cichlids) and have raised many broods from different fish.

Thanks for the info everyone. feeling pretty comfortable that this BN will not be an issue. In her curent tank she is with many very small Juvie labs, peacocks etc with no problems. Must be all the good parenting by jvision!! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Jay