Permits for importing

JORG

Having done it, I can tell you. First, you need to find a farm that will be willing to sell to you (most are not interested in shipping to anyone that is buying less than 6-8 fish)...they will also need a Canadian transhipper (in BC). Next you need to make an order and have the farm secure the CITES appendix I export permits. Once you have the permits, you need to take them and apply to Fish and Wildlife for a Canadian CITES appendix I import permit. If and when you are granted the permit, you may have the fish shipped to you. Remember that you will also pay taxes on your fish (plus about $250 in permit costs)...it is a fairly expensive endeavour.

I'm sure part of the paperwork is also to confirm that you will not resell the fish(s) in areas where they are restricted (most of the US I believe. Christian is that correct?).

Little side note:

Whenever I am in calgary I always make sure to check out riverfront to have a look at the aros they have in stock. I wish there was more of a market for them or a place that sells them at that size in edmonton. (not that I can afford one, but a guy can dream!)

I'm sure part of the paperwork is also to confirm that you will not resell the fish(s) in areas where they are restricted (most of the US I believe. Christian is that correct?).

If I recall from the last form, you sign something to that degree.

...and incidentally, they are illegal to import into or possess in all of the USA.

And they do a great deal of the paperwork for you.

Well, half of it, anyways.

Annoyingly, the CITES export papers are usually ready in under 2 weeks, yet it usually takes 4-6 weeks for the Canadian papers to come through (which you cannot apply for until you have copies of the export papers)...so about 5-7 weeks of waiting.

Hi guys - I wrote the article you refer to above.

I am now arranging group imports across Canada. In our last import that wrapped up last week (see: <a href="http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread....=939&page=7" target="_blank">http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread....=939&page=7</a> ) we had a fellow in Calgary get a Super red. We trans-shipped it to him on arrival in Vancouver from Singapore via Westjet for $50. Easy as pie.

We are now arranging a second group order (see: <a href="http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2492" target="_blank">http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2492</a> ).

Prices shipped to major cities in Canada are $600 for High Back RTG, $1550 for Super Red (Chilli or Blood Red), and $1550 for Xback. These prices are final and include all shipping, handling, and GST. I think you will agree this is a very good price, especially when you factor in that GST is included.

I am in the process of reformatting the www.dragonfish.ca site which is geared towards setting up group buys for Canadian buyers of Asian arowana.

If you are looking to buy 12 fish or spend $5,000 I suggest you do the import totally on your own through Mr.Kan at Panda Aquatics (tell him Theo sent you). If you are looking for fewer fish, contact me and I'll gladly get you in on this next order. By the way, we have a little High Back RTG left over from the previous order right now. We can ship it immediately to Alberta for a total of $700, if you know anyone interested. Otherwise the next order will take about 2 months to get done.

Cheers

Edited by stratos

Are permits only good for the one time, or do they last for a set time period?

The permit is only good for one import of fish and must correspond with the micro-chip tag numbers of the imported fish.

As far as I know there is no time limit for when you can use the permit; however, given that the fish farms hold your fish for you while the paperwork is processed, it is in your interest (and the fish farm's), to get the fish imported ASAP.