Co2 cylinders

Vallisneria

I'm planning on maybe going to a pressurized co2 system this summer. I was wondering about the co2 cylinder. Can you use any type of co2 tank(welding, paintball etc.) or is there a certain kind I should be looking for? My dad is a machinist and he said he might be able to get a tank from work(from the welders or something). Is that ok to use?

Or where is the cheapest place to buy a cylinder? Also how big do I need for a 56g? Like how long would a 40oz co2 tank last on average, a 5lb tank etc.

Most North American regulators are made for the standard welding type cylinder with the CGA320 fitting. Red Sea also makes one that fits the paintball cylinders.

My 5lb tank lasts 6-8 months on my 66gal tank. Just be sure to check that the height of the cylinder + regulator will fit under the tank if you're putting it there.

The price seems to vary depending on who you talk to. It's been a few years since I got mine, but I'd guess about $100 for a new one, plus around $20 for a CO2 fill? Aquariumplants.com sells a 5lb cylinder for just over $60, but I suspect the shipping cost is high. You can try calling around to welding supply and/or beer making places locally.

The least expensive place I found for cylinders was AquariumPlants.com 5 lbs is $62 CAD, 10lbs is $85 CAD. Its cheaper to buy empty and get it filled here, Oxypro is like $15 for a 10LBS. Fire Extinguisher places are ok but around $20 for 10lbs.

AP also has Milwaukee Co2 MA957 Regulator Set is like $95. Their "The Best" is good but more money ($169) and the needle valve is annoying to set but the regulator and solenoid are way better plus 3 year warranty, so I bought it.

With shipping you can save like $80. I know I sound like an ad but I looked for a long time and talked to a lot of people. Just don't buy cheap b/c by all reports it will die quickly then its not so cheap once you have to replace it. Also low quality regulators can cause tank dumps or uneven flow that can kill all the fish.

Edited by happeboy

There is a place in Edmonton that sells refurbished/certified cylinders... I think it was about $70 for an empty 5 pounder. Seem to recall Vic going this way... maybe send him a PM and see if my mind is even half right - unless he stops into this thread, of course.

Go see these folks, they will deal. I bough my 20#, totally refurbished and certified for $60 (I think).

Don't use e-mail, they all go to Calgary and the Calgary prices are quite a bit higher than Edmonton.

Vic

Edmonton Office:

The Recharge Centre

5152 - 75 Street

Edmonton, AB Canada

T6E 6W2

Vic, that was a 20#?? Wowsers, Ok... I know where I am going next month (getting back into plants - Whee!)

Yep - 20# aluminum certified. Edmonton, not Calgary, store.