bio-spira

nchips

From what I heard it's dormant bacteria put in a tube, you used to have to keep in refrigerated then once you put them in your filter it would warm up the bacteria and they would come alive or whatever and supposedly fully cycle your tank in '24 hours'. They changed it so that you don't have to keep it in the fridge, not sure how though. But yeah it isn't available in Canada sadly.

From what I heard it's dormant bacteria put in a tube, you used to have to keep in refrigerated then once you put them in your filter it would warm up the bacteria and they would come alive or whatever and supposedly fully cycle your tank in '24 hours'. They changed it so that you don't have to keep it in the fridge, not sure how though. But yeah it isn't available in Canada sadly.

As far as I am aware, Bio-Spira is still available only in liquid form (at least according to the manufacturer, Marineland), in 30ml, 90ml, 236ml, and 946ml bottles.

There seems to be some issues with importation, although sale of live bacteria is not restricted in Canada....even still, the wholesale cost of the product combined with the costs of refrigerated shipping, etc, would result in a $45-$55 retail price for the 90ml bottle (good for a 90G)...a bit of a difficult sale for a product with a very limited shelf-life.

I ordered this product from a store in the United States that ships to Canada (Lighthouse www.fishstoretn.com). I believe they used a loophole in the customs system by labelling the product as aquarium supply instead of live bacteria. The website is now defunct so I assume they went under or were shut down. It was expensive but I was in a rush to cycle a 60G tank and did not have any other seeded filters available at the time. I was happy with the results but would not pay such excessive amounts again. This is also before I knew of the existence of AA and people who would be willing to donate established bacteria cultures from their filter media....

I see this product is available on Aquariumplants.com but I don't know if they would ship into Canada.

Edited by BooUrns!

Is this the same bacteria you can get in a septic tank product like septobac?

It is a similar type of bacteria but not the same. What you get in Bio-spira is a concentrated supply of the actualy bacteria that you find in fully cycled tanks.

Septobac bacteria doesn't actually cycle the tank but makes it easier for the real bacteria to take hold & multiply. Same result just a little slower.

Of course, you could just beg a couple of mature, cycled sponges from another local aquarist's tanks.

I have been toying with the idea of selling cycled sponges (in various Aquaclear sizes) from filters in my shop to interested aquarists (and those poor buggers that have been told by certain chain-shop employees that running their tank empty for 3 weeks means that it is cycled).

• 2 years later...

Of course, you could just beg a couple of mature, cycled sponges from another local aquarist's tanks.

I have been toying with the idea of selling cycled sponges (in various Aquaclear sizes) from filters in my shop to interested aquarists (and those poor buggers that have been told by certain chain-shop employees that running their tank empty for 3 weeks means that it is cycled).

That's nothing, I was in a Pet Store in Sherwood Park (that will remain anonymous) and my girlfriend and I were looking at their FW fish selection. We are new to this and are currently cycling 2 of our 3 tanks and just taking our time to research ALOT and make some good decisions especially in regards to tank inhabitants. So we visit every store within about 1/2 hour radius to see what is available and whose stock looks good.

Well this was one of those typical "Fish Section" jack-asses who makes it seem that he is paid commission only. So he won't leave us be, he's following us around like we are gonna pocket an Oscar or something. Half of his blue high intensity lights were uncovered so we were just trying to get through the section quick before we developed retinal cancer, but he wants to interrogate me directly in the glare of the death-lights.

Fish-Jerk: So what are you looking for?

Me: Well we just set up 2 tanks and have them cycling right now while we research and decide what fish we would like to add to the community.

Fish-Jerk: (With blank look of incomprehension) What size is your tank?

Me: Oh, it's just a 10 gallon, so I have to pick carefully because I don't want it overstocked or end up with a fish that grows way bigger than I am expecting. So I am mostly focusing on small tropical community suitable fish.

Fish-Jerk: (Again with blank look of incomprehension) Well you've got 10 gallons so you can have 10 fish easy...

Me: Um, yeah... (already looking for ways to escape an argument with the ignoramus) Well, we just put the water in about a week ago, so we still have a fair amount of time to decide what we want to do.

Fish-Jerk: Oh a week, did you use a water conditioner?

Me: Yes, I used Tetra AquaSafe and have it all up to temperature.

Fish-Jerk: Oh well you are ready then, do you want to pick out some fish.

Me: Um, no thank-you...we are...err, still deciding.

It was about then that the g/f and I left that store with no plans of returning ever!

ChakaRaka.