Interesting plant shoot

corrosionjerry

I can't see the pics, but from the sound of your discription, it's a flower stalk from an Aponogeton.

Thanks for the info Jason.. I googled that and found what I have... the exception is that it says in the litterature that it can only multiply by seeds... I have been splitting my root and plant and have several plants now.. it also sends out new shoots through the sand... so I am not entirely sure if this is the right variety... sure looks like it tho...

Aponogeton crispus

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Aponogeton crispus

Aponogeton crispus

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Plantae

Order: Alismatales

Family: Aponogetonaceae

Genus: Aponogeton

Species: A. crispus

Binomial name

Aponogeton crispus

Linneaus f.

[edit] General info

This aquarium plant is native from south-east Asia. It is a submerged plant having a round rhizome which can grow up to a 3 cm diameter. The leaves have varied dimensions between 15 and 16 cm, curly edges and they are colored in light green to ferruginous brown. This plant usually has a spherical shape. It only makes one white flower. The optimal temperature is 20-30° C. The light can be very strong but half-dark is not bad either, this fact influences the color of the leaves. The ground must be full of minerals and should be formed by sand, loam and boiled peat. When the plant stops growing, the rhizome must be replaced in a new aquarium with a temperature of 15° C. It only multiplies by seeds, which have an elliptic shape, 5-6 mm length and 2 mm diameter. The have 2 prolongations which in horizontal position get curved and stuck into the ground forming the roots. It's better to plant the seeds in a smaller aquarium first, with a water level of maximum 30 cm.

it also sends out new shoots through the sand

That's interesting... I've never had, nor heard of Apon's sending out runners. Though, your discription of the flower definitely sounds like Apon. crispus. Sorry, can't see the pics, yet.