Prime (seachem)

This is one of my favourite products. I wont be without it.

In my test kit's booklet it says to add prime to help reduce the amonia , along with the water change. I can only assume if that's what the test kit recommends it must do something like neutralize it.

Prime has been recommended to me by several seasoned aquarists to remove ammonia. It only works for 24 hours though so if you are using it to control excess ammonia you need to dose every day.

Prime has to deal with ammonia, because it deals with chloramine which breaks down into ammonia.

Prime rocks.

I've been told twice that prime does not remove ammonia.

It only alters the water so that test kits do not read it.

Any opinions?

I seldom believe everything I read. I've used the Prime for quite

some time, haven't had any problems, but, I tend to use it along

with other ammonia reducing measures. With fish that cost from

$100-$2000 apiece, I'm not willing to take chances. I use am-guard,

from Seachem as well, and things like zeolite in the filters, purigen,

etc. I over filter as well, use stability regularly, stability is more of

a preventative measure, adding ammonia eating bacteria on a

weekly basis. I use mostly seachem, even though I have access

to Kent, Coralife, API, etc, all at wholesale, I go with what works.

I use betta basics, and stressguard, among others.

I add my prime with water changes, and a dab with new fish,

but I use amguard from removing ammonia and stability for

keeping it low(really important for rays I find)

All of the water treatment products that are currently on the market, and that are geared towards removing chlorine and ammonia, work chemically essentially the same way. They reduce chlorine to chloride and bind any free ammonia until it is utilized within your bio filtration.

Most liquid based reagent test kits (Nessler) will actually test positive for ammonia when using these products due to the fact that they raise the pH to convert all ammonia to free ammonia and test for free ammonia at pH 14. So actually if you are using ammonia removal products and test for ammonia with these type of test kits you will get false readings for ammonia.

Prime has been recommended to me by several seasoned aquarists to remove ammonia. It only works for 24 hours though so if you are using it to control excess ammonia you need to dose every day.

Prime has to deal with ammonia, because it deals with chloramine which breaks down into ammonia.

Prime rocks.

But can you not over does on this product

Regarding overdosing, the label states "5 times the regular dose may be used to detoxify nitrites in an emergency"......... there is also a bit about "using a half dose if temp. is above 30 C and chlorine/ammonia is low"............ I don't actually have the bottle in front of me, (I'm at work........ you know...... working....... :rolleyes:) I wouldn't pour in a whole bottle, but I think it's pretty difficult to overdose. Definitely worth the money, in my opinion.

Edited by Stacey

I do 50% water changes on all my tanks weekly and double dose the prime and never had a problem. I also do not test the water until the next day, 24 hrs or more after the water change. All readings are clear.

I recently had a MAJOR ammonia spike in one of my tanks. The spike lasted for over 3 weeks 'til I finally found the source - a very dead and decayed Pleco that was well hidden, trapped under some wood. I was dosing 5 times the standard dosage for that tank, twice a day for around 3 weeks straight. But since my temp is over 31* C, I probably should have used it at 1/2 strenght, but didn't; therefore, one could construe I actually used 10 times the recommended dosage. Went though a few litres of Prime, but didn't loose a single fish.... 30 full sized Discus. I swear by the stuff....

It only alters the water so that test kits do not read it (ammonia).

It may have given me false readings, but believe me, it sure DID read the ammonia!

Edited by k9outfit