Halfmoon betta fry

BlackMumba

The Halfmoon bettas I ordered in from Thailand, one pair the black melano's had fry... their tails are hanging in the nest, free swimming prob tomorrow.. my other pair, have mated and have eggs in the nest, and my other pair silk gold female and pineapple male are mating as I am typing this...

I just hope I can have a low mortality rate, and have beautiful bettas in 3 months... :thumbs:

I did manage to loose a HM female I purchased at Big Al's, I think she was egg bound I just couldn't do anything for her, the other female isn't well either but at least has more energy... not sure if she also is egg bound... but she is energtic so I am positive with primeafix she will recover nicely.

I hope to see pics. Great going.

wow I've tried to breed bettas once. it was a uter failure.

Good job! and congrats

u got a densly planted tank?

Thanks! I will get Patrick to post pictures, as soon as the fry are big enough to see.

I totally understand, everyone talks of how easy it is to breed them(shakes her head, no it is not)... I have had many batches that haven't made it. I had to completely change water to R/o water. The condition of the water has to be perfect or the male will just eat all the eggs or the eggs don't develop.

temp has to be bang on as well. I have bred them in a 2.5 gal tank(recommended is 10 gal, for more fry), which the amount of fry is limited which is fine with me, why make more then you can handle is my theory.

So, the densly planted tank question is no. I have a spring of hornwort in the tank and a peat moss pouch nothing on the bottom and a heater. My fry the very first that have made it :thumbs: are approx 1 week old today I have counted about 4 but they are like trying to find needles in a hay stack.There could be more, but my eye site isn't as good as it used to be. Of course once the fry are large enough they will be moved to a larger grow out tank.

I am used to guppy size fry not these tiny little things. I am still hoping I will be able to raise to adulthood..

Edited by BlackMumba

Daily water changes, And they grow very fast if you have no more than 6 in a 10gal. tank. The top of the tank must also have a tight fitting lid on it or saran wrap to keep air and water temp the same for the first 4 to 6 weeks.