Had-a-Snail

Barracuda-m

hi all!

I'm planning on getting some more plants for my 29 gal community tank, but the LFS here is notorious for snail-infested plants.

I have 4 bristle nose plecos, a large ropefish, a med sized synodontus, 2 upside down catfish as well as an assortment of danios, tetras and dwarf gouramis.

Would the fish be affected if I treated the plants with had-a-snail (in a separate tank) a week or so before I planted them in the main tank? I really want new plants, but the snails I can do without.

I would think that if you treated the plants with had a snail in a qt tank and then transferred them to your main tank the residual copper would be almost undetectable. Or you could treat them and then do a water change before transferring them

You could just add a yoyo or clown loach to the tank and the snails will be gone in a couple days.

You know, I've heard this many times, and I think I even offered this advice to several customers when I worked at a fish store. However, the one time I tried this myself, the only real result was that the clown loaches put a billion (yes, I counted) holes in my plants. Has anyone else had this experience?

A note about the Cu though, it works, but some plants such as vals, don't like Cu much at all.

I would just rinse the plants before you put them in the tank. Rub your fingers over the leaves (top and bottom) to dislodge or crush any egg deposits.

Don't forget that having some snails in the tank is not a bad thing. A small colony of pond snails (for example) won't harm the plants and will help keep algae and rotting plant material in check. As long as you don't overfeed your fish, you won't experience a population explosion, as the snails will be kept in check according to the amount of available food.

Edited by Shai