i hate summer- another tank crash story

queeny

After suffering the hottest July in Calgary's recent history, I came home to a cloudy ammonia spiked 29 gallon tank and 4 dead raspboras, 2 black skirt tetras, and 1 pearl danio (very sad as he was surviving a large tumor quite well on his own) I replaced the filter medium with ammo-carb and did a massive water change but it's still pretty cloudy. I was able to transplant the remaining raspbora to my other tank and now just have 1 lonely spotted pleco to worry about. Oh well, I guess now I have a fresh slate for what to put in the tank now. (sigh)

: ( Sorry to hear that. My tanks have been getting pretty hot too. I live in a tin can (mobile home) and it's been hitting 30-36 degrees inside every day during the heat wave. Thankfully I haven't had a total crash, but I do have some sick fish and lost a cherry barb the other day. Guess she just couldn't take it anymore. : ( I feel your pain!

You guys in Calgary and Edmonton sure have it bad with the high temperatures. 30's yikes, here in Grande Prairie it got to 19'C today, yippee. :rolleyes: Can you tell that I am a little jealous of the warmer weather, I like it mid 20's but not really any higher, but lately here we have had rain, clouds and thunder and lightning. My heaters in my tanks still turn on so it is quite cool. VERY sorry about your fish, no one likes to have their tanks crash especially when we would much rather be outside enjoying summer. Good luck refilling with new fishies.

Sorry about your loss

Sorry to hear queeny. I lost a Platy to heat... I suspect she had some internal problems as she was slightly deformed. Have you ever tried using bottles filled with cold water to cool your tank?

I haven't tried the bottle trick. I had been using ziplocs filled with ice but they were just melting as soon as they went in. Do you know what I can do to lower my ammonia? I've been doing water changes, changed my filter medium to ammo-carb and it's still so cloudy and smelly. I've also tried adding ammo-lock. I spoke to someone at the LPS and he said to wait it out and not add a bunch of chemicals. I've never had an ammonia spike like this before so I'm feeling kind of helpless right now. Any ideas? :(

Have you checked to make sure there isn't still a dead fish in the tank some where?

Seachem prime can be use to bring down the levels of ammonia in an emergency. I thought about this after reading some reefers tank crash due to heat on another site. I'm gonna call it a gheto chiller. Lots of people have those gravel vacuums that connect directly to the tap. Why not take some of that clear tubing and connect it to a power head or small pump in a cooler half full of water. Then in a second cooler full of ice, coil up as much hose as you can,and then into the aquarium. Again coiling as much hose as you can in the aquarium. Then return the hose into the cooler with the pump to complete the loop. Does that make sense? It wouldnt be very pretty but I think it would work in an emergency.

Edited by fishytime